Incorporating a bandsaw into a MFT style bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
I have only a small workshop, so no room for a table saw. In fact, I don't have room for the tools I already have. I have old kitchen cabinets around the space for storing tools but I want a central bench and to have French cleats on the wall to store hand tools.

I do have a bandsaw, a lathe and number of smaller sanding machines like the Triton bobbin sander. Also a planer thicknesser which, although large, is indispensable

If I need to make accurate cuts I use my tracksaw. If I want to do curved and deep cuts I use the bandsaw.

I currently gave a very small bench made of oak veneered mdf. An MFT top folds down on piano hinges when I need it. It's about 2ft deep by 3ft wide.

I wabt to build a bench that incorporates my bandsaw, an MFT style top and still allows for storage underneath. This will go in the center of the space so I can walk around it.

I have not seen anyone else do this with a bandsaw. Probably because its a silly idea but I want to try it and document the process here.

Essentially it will be an MFT top about 3ft x 6ft with a big corner cut out for the bandsaw table to sit flush into. Currently the bandsaw is on a sort of stand but I can detach it to bolt it to a workbench. I want shelves underneath to store my sander, my pro edge and any other bits too big fir the cleats.

I think my next step is a sketch up plan which I will post here when finished. I aim to make it out of medite mrmdf for the top and pine (from an old biliard table frame) for the frame, which will be half lap joinery mostly but some mortice and tenon. It will have ply shelves and an old record 52e vice.

Have you considered getting rid of the kitchen cabinets? I bet that they are all half filled with air, with only a single layer of tools on each shelf.
Pull the cabinets out, hang your tools on the walls using the french cleats behind pegboard.
If you can still fit a 3ft x 6 ft table in the middle of a space surrounded by kitchen cabinets, your workspace isnt small by my standards.

sunnybob":bmn04ksi said:
Have you considered getting rid of the kitchen cabinets? I bet that they are all half filled with air, with only a single layer of tools on each shelf.
Pull the cabinets out, hang your tools on the walls using the french cleats behind pegboard.
If you can still fit a 3ft x 6 ft table in the middle of a space surrounded by kitchen cabinets, your workspace isnt small by my standards.

Hmm food for thought!

I seem to create so much dust I couldn't do what Bob suggests as anything on shelves very quickly gets covered even though I use extraction, ( maybe not good enough! ), however he's right about the waste of space. Gives me some ideas, I might look at removing the shelves in some of mine and fixing cleats to the back so space optimised and doors intact. Still need shelves for the mountains of fixings and misc stuff though.

My base and wall cupboards have all been reduced in depth so not the 600 / 300 usual for kitchen cupboards, that saves a lot of space.

Back