Incoming supplier LV cable - rerouting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
There is talk of them 'undergrounding' (hideous word) the 11KV line from where we get our power. Our incomer lv mains feed is currently slung between the house and a transformer up the pole. If it goes ahead then two of the three options would have them bringing in our incomer underground. However, we have walls, plants, a well weathered terrace on two sides, the soil pipe to our septic tank on the third side and at the back, the cable would have to go under or over a soil pipe from the workshop, my utility pipe to the workshop that carries my mains, ethernet etc, our incoming mains water and lastly the underground fuel pipe for the CH oil.

Anyone been in a similar situation. Do we have any right to say 'No....choose option 3 which maintains the status quo' ?

Chances are Rog, they would use a mole to bring the cable underground, so only a few inspection pits would need to be dug not a big trench.

Thanks for the info. Impact moling...new word for me ! But what about obstacles in the way? Don't they just bash through them? I guess they might run the cable 6 ft down...that would work as it would miss everything (I think)

RogerS":3aj0pgy6 said:
I guess they might run the cable 6 ft down...that would work as it would miss everything (I think)

There not usually that keen, the contractors, they usually go about 3` down.

The mole is propelled by compressed air & you can tell when its hit something by the change in the noise the air is making, they definitely don`t like tree roots.

cheers.

They used moling when they put in our mains gas supply years ago. They obviously knew what they were doing as they only needed very few access pits and they were spot on accurate with their aiming. Overall there was very little disruption or mess and they covered a long pipe run in a short time.

Misterfish

Doug B":ajz9caoa said:
RogerS":ajz9caoa said:
I guess they might run the cable 6 ft down...that would work as it would miss everything (I think)

......you can tell when its hit something by the change in the noise the air is making, they definitely don`t like tree roots.

cheers.

I wonder what the sound is like when they 'mole' through a clay soil pipe or my armoured power cable to the workshop :?

Back