Including multiple quotes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to quote multiple posts within the same thread, click on the "Reply" in each post you want to quote. The quoted text will appear in the reply window in the order you clicked on them.

If you want to include a quote from another thread, then you have to open that thread, click on "Reply", then cut and paste the resulting quote into the post you are creating.

The forum software can presumably allow multiple quotes. I'm assuming this as the MIG Welding forum uses XenForo (albeit a different version). At the bottom of each post there are three buttons "Like", "+Quote" and "Reply". "Like" and "Reply" work exactly the same as here, but "+Quote" adds the post to a list of messages you want to quote when you reply.

In the reply box there's a "Insert Quotes" button that allows you to insert all the to-be-quoted messages one after another. It's a really useful feature.

Is this something that could be enabled on this forum @Angie ?

XenForo does allow multiple quotes, but the option is disabled by default. I always enable it on my websites.

If you want to quote multiple posts within the same thread, click on the "Reply" in each post you want to quote. The quoted text will appear in the reply window in the order you clicked on them.

If you want to include a quote from another thread, then you have to open that thread, click on "Reply", then cut and paste the resulting quote into the post you are creating.
XenForo does allow multiple quotes, but the option is disabled by default. I always enable it on my websites.

Genius! I just made the stupid assumption that when I'd clicked 'reply' on the first one, that was it. You, sir are a scholar and a gentleman!
Cheers
Greg

Thanks Angie.
Seems to work perfectly - operator error as usual 😣

No operator error at all Greg. Angie enabled the multiple quote option as a result of this thread, which is why you can see the "+Quote" option now. No one could see it prior to this because the option wasn't enabled.

Cut & paste should be copy & paste.
Just to clarify, cut removes the original whereas copy leaves the original. :)

No, he was right. If you click "reply" in a separate thread, you get a quote in a text box. You don't need that quote in that thread, so you cut it, and paste it into the text box in the thread where you do need it.

This,
No operator error at all Greg. Angie enabled the multiple quote option as a result of this thread, which is why you can see the "+Quote" option now. No one could see it prior to this because the option wasn't enabled.

Is

I should have said NOW turned on in that post of mine above to make it clear I had just done it.

Fun!

I genuinely appreciate your replies, folks. I'll stop practising/pratting about with it now and just use our when needed.
Off to play in the shed...

Copy and paste will work, but with the autosave feature of XenForo, the temporary quote could remain in the second thread while you are working on the first thread replies, unless you immediately close the second thread after copying the quote. The default autosave setting in Xenforo is 60 seconds and the default storage time for drafts is 24 hours. This is why I use cut and paste when quoting from other threads.

There are several threads where I started to reply, changed my mind or was distracted by a squirrel, and came back to the thread hours later. My abandoned or forgotten quote was still there.

Fortunately, the is an easy way to clear any saved drafts or force a save. On the right side of the menu tool bar in the reply window, there is an icon that looks like a floppy disk. Click on the down arrow to the right of the icon and you will see an options to save and delete drafts. When autosave is enabled, as it is at UKW, you will notice a little green dot appear on the floppy disk icon at the save intervals.

Back