Inca bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would suggest putting an ad in the wanted section of the forum
Thanks Droogs. I did try but apparently I don't have sufficient privileges. I don't have enough posts to sell but I thought I had enough to put in a wanted ad in. Then I got waylaid as I had a call to say my Western Red Cedar was ready at the woodyard. So off I went.

You probably know this, but note that the Inca wheels are flat, not crowned, and the usual youtube instructions for having the blade tracking on the top of the crown do not apply. The teeth should be just hanging over the front edge of the drive wheel and similar on the lower wheel. If it then falls off the wheel (when tensioned) I think the wheels have to be misaligned, or bumpy (need new tyres, easily found).

Thank you for the tip! I just placed an order, hopefully it will do the trick.

You think any neighbour will do, or does it have to be a specific model?

"Nice" to hear that someone else has the same problem. It is very frustrating and makes me question my whole existence. I will let you know when my little bandsaw is up and running again! :)

I can't speak for Samuel, but I have put sufficient tension on the blade before trying to adjust its tracking. I have some experience with other bandsaws so I hope my judgement of "sufficient" is correct! :)

Hi!

Actually, the local company in sweden I ordered my saw bands from just contacted me and said that they had confirmed a production error which resulted in slightly misaligned blade welding. So I guess that was my problem for all three blades, and when I get the new replacement blades later this week I hope to get perfect and stable tracking!

cheers!

//Samuel

When I bought my Inca, about 12 years ago, it seemed to be missing a part. It has the lever that tightens on the semi-circular piece under the table, that you slacken to tilt the table, but there was another M10(?) stud sticking through the other slot on the same piece. I have always had a finger-tight M10 full nut there, but today I was thinking about trying to make something better. Trouble is, I don't know what the original part looks like. So I dug out an old PDF of an exploded 342.186, and I can't actually see anything that matches, I cant even see the other threaded stud. Anyone got any pics?

I have an Inca bandsaw that I purchased new more years ago than I care to remember and is in original unmodified condition. I am more than happy to help I assume that you want a photo underneath the rear of the table. I will take one in the morning and post it.

When I bought my Inca, about 12 years ago, it seemed to be missing a part. It has the lever that tightens on the semi-circular piece under the table, that you slacken to tilt the table, but there was another M10(?) stud sticking through the other slot on the same piece. I have always had a finger-tight M10 full nut there, but today I was thinking about trying to make something better. Trouble is, I don't know what the original part looks like. So I dug out an old PDF of an exploded 342.186, and I can't actually see anything that matches, I cant even see the other threaded stud. Anyone got any pics?
There is a round guide that fits in the table angle guide then 2 1/2 nuts that lock onto the thread that allows the table to pivot with 2 guide points.
024FB9BF-BBD7-4F64-AE34-99D7BAA16E22.jpeg
EB599E89-B220-4442-9A86-D93E31662EA8.jpeg
4C7A7ED7-0D9D-488F-A794-00B40CA9CC3A.jpeg
I should probably have blown the dust of first 😳
If that’s not clear I can dust it off and retake.

Last edited:
I replaced the two locknuts on the upper guide point spigot with a bristol type locking lever - this does the same job as the original lever on the lower guide point, but the arm can be indexed around out of the way as required.

With the locknuts I found that the table was difficult to get fixed just right as well as allowing smooth tilting - anyway, the bristol lever works fine.

Incidentally, I always found the tilting action to be a bit graunchy, as it is aluminium sliding on aluminium - I have recently improved this a lot with some (WD40) lithium grease spray.

Cheers

Thanks everybody. I can see that I'm missing the collar(?) That sits underneath the two half nuts as well.
All my Bristol levers are male, as I recall. Oh well, I've got by for 12 years... I'll just have to keep an eye out for something I can repurpose.

Thanks everybody. I can see that I'm missing the collar(?) That sits underneath the two half nuts as well.
All my Bristol levers are male, as I recall. Oh well, I've got by for 12 years... I'll just have to keep an eye out for something I can repurpose.
It is a trivially easy item for anyone with a metal lathe to make. You can get it made out of virtually any suitably hard dense material like delrin. I can’t see any need to use a locking leaver, mine has been in use for about 50 years in the way I showed.

It is a trivially easy item for anyone with a metal lathe to make. You can get it made out of virtually any suitably hard dense material like delrin. I can’t see any need to use a locking leaver, mine has been in use for about 50 years in the way I showed.
So now I have to buy a lathe so that I can use my £50 bandsaw? This woodworking hobby is getting expensive!!

So now I have to buy a lathe so that I can use my £50 bandsaw? This woodworking hobby is getting expensive!!

Nooooo, you just have to ask on here if anyone on the forum could kindly make you one if you supply dimensions. A lot of us have metal lathes, and maybe Inca saws as well.

Sometime wood worker, what's the round bar attached to the nearside of the table used for please? Adding an extension? Not seen it before.
024FB9BF-BBD7-4F64-AE34-99D7BAA16E22.jpeg

As said the round bar has a stop that slides along it and can be locked in any position.
I had a look at my saw and it is the same as the pictures already posted.
The part that you have missing would seem to be nothing more than a spacer perhaps you could just grind down some washers to fit.

As said the round bar has a stop that slides along it and can be locked in any position.
I had a look at my saw and it is the same as the pictures already posted.
The part that you have missing would seem to be nothing more than a spacer perhaps you could just grind down some washers to fit.
Thanks. Yes, I found a couple of washers that fit without grinding.

Talking of stops, my Inca is the one with the start/ stop box on the far side. I'm thinking if adding a NO emergency stop button to the base. Any reason why this is a bad idea?

Latest posts

Back