Inca 205 v 260

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences please. I have searched online but can't find much at all. I tried to join the Yahoo/Inca group but they never got back (can't blame them really).
I have just acquired a 260 (almost by accident) and will be examining the castings alongside the Kity 413 I have (which almost certainly uses Inca-made castings for frame, table etc).
Anyway, any knowledge re the 205 / 260 differences much appreciated.

yes Gerard, that's the one I tried, it seems to be THE Inca community. Maybe now I own one they may let me in... it was a right faff as well, sign up to Yahoo first, then apply. Maybe I need a referral or two. They seem to run it like The Graucho (famous for being just about the hardest club to gain membership of in London, hence its name).
Will report back on the 260 later anyway. I have high hopes for the micro-fence... and the chance to buy a few more blades :lol: :lol:

I can now report that the Inca 260 is exactly the same size as the Kity 413 (260mm wheels, 73 1/2" blade etc). I believe the 205 is 59" blade, maybe 8" wheels but don't know.
Is it the case that depth under guides is the same, I know the 260 is 6" / 150mm.
I think there are a few quirks with the 260 (mine's a Swiss one, which I will try and date later). The tracking adjustment is better on the Kity - smoother and finer. The fence support on the Inca bolts under table but there is plenty of slop so you have to faff to get back to the true fence setting you had. On the Kity the fence support is a part of the table casting. And the Inca's micro-adjust fence has potential but mine needs some 'tuning'.
Oh yes, and the Inca is back-to-front... not that it matters as it is the same as most table saws (fence right of blade).
I can understand why the Inca has its fans - but I also think the Kity 413 is extremely under-rated (maybe because there are very few around it seems).
Any interest in a more detailed comparison 413 v 260?? Won't be offended if not, honest.

edit: the 260 refers to throat, the wheels are approx 275mm. And mine is dated 1994 'Injecta Inca. Swiss Qual standard. The 'injecta' reminds us what Inca's business really was - precision ali castings, and as Gerard pointed out, they used to produce the main bodies of Hasselblad cameras =D> =D> =D>

Interesting comparison. A chippie had recommended the Kity bandsaw to me. He lugs it around to building sites but I could not get hold of one as easily as a Inca. How is the dust collection on a kity machine? The micro-adjuster is indeed tricky on the Inca. Yes the Inca blade guides under the table are a fiddle to set up but on the bright side in action it cuts remarkably well and is not really as fussy about how it has been set up as other brands of bandsaw are. Anyway I am interested to know how it does in action against the kity.

Hi Gerard - just me and you now then :lol: :lol:
The Kity is probably sold, but I have all the pics and spec etc so all I need to do now is do the same for the Inca 260 and it may make a useful reference for anyone considering either in the future. I'll get back re the Inca - mine is close but not actually a cigar yet. I find it odd that the core components are excellent, then [on mine anyway] they put a folded steel fence support on (not very 'nice'); the tracking adjust shifts when I lock it, no rack & pinion on top guide post (Kity has that). And the fine adjust micro-fence is proving a challenge to tune. Call me fussy, and you will :wink:
Then I may do a review/overview of the Record 500 and the recent arrival, Startrite 352... made in England of course.

Calling all bandsaw nuts...

Hi Mark - guilty... but it was an accident (A series of, plural, I suppose).
The Record 500 is very good indeed, but was too big. I got the Inca because I was suckered in by the enthusiasm of it's owners. And the Startrite was described as 'mint'... not so, but technically v good and well on the way to excellence. Made up the road too, you can fair smell the Thames off it [not a fine smell, but quite homely].
Time to stop playing with the tools and machines, let's go out and MAKE SOMETHING :lol: :lol:

p.s. Mark - good site. I need to know more about queen-rearing :shock:

I have a 260, and I love it, but then again it's the only bandsaw I've ever used.
The top guide post would definitely benefit from a rack and pinion, though. Mine is very sticky, despite cleaning and lubricating.
Agreed also about the fence rail, mine came without that, so I made one out of ali angle.
I have some polyurethane tyres that I plan to fit one day.
I also have a depth stop, circle cutting jig and sanding belts and attachments.
I bought it because it's small enough to fit on the bench in my tiny shed, but has a deep enough cut to take a guitar neck heel(and because I only had to pay £50 for it) - not that I've made one yet, but it's on the infinitely long list.

Thanks for info John. Fifty quid... =D> #-o =D> #-o
I was thinking about making a better fence support, non-ferrous, borrow someone's milling machine maybe :wink: Although to be fair it does work and returns to correct position is you just take a little care.
I do find that tracking control touchy - it often readjusts as you tighten the outer lock screw, but again, once set it's fine.
I still have some fine-tuning to do on mine, and sort some dust extraction!

Does yours have anywhere to attach dust extraction? I had to buy a "crevice tool" vacuum cleaner attachment and make my own, as it was an older model - probably made back when smoking was still considered healthy.
I also modded mine by fitting a small round polycarbonate window so that I could see the tension scale without removing the side.
As far as the fence rail goes, why don't you get it where you want it and leave it there(if it has the cut-out for the mitre gauge).

Answering my own stupid question - because you need to remove the fence rail to change blades. Doh!

Thanks John - yes, I have the same issue re dust extraction, just a hole at the front. I was already sneaking round the house looking for a crevice tool (beginning to sound rather odd, all this :lol: ) - I notice a hole to left of outlet which is maybe where the real thing would have mounted. I think this is my favourite 1st option, refashion any old crevice tool, and connect my highly rated Macallister vac with power take-off and timer to delay vac switch-off [I fear they have been discontinued]. Interesting that even without extraction, it does seem to spit a lot of the dust out the front anyway, which is a good sign - even a bit of suck in that region should catch most of it... we shall see.

p.s. polycarb window is good too - do I assume Inca expected you to leave blade tension on, as the indicator is inside the cover? I am very fussy about backing tension off.

Latest posts

Back