In the spirit of lamp planes...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
something else to set your teeth on edge.

Those of a nervous disposition look away now!

rHk5sNd.jpg

Hopefully not the start of a trend.

That would work":tjbcw2u0 said:
That's offensive.
I'm not joking.

Yes, on several levels. It looks like the saw was in better condition than most and could have been a good user. The bits of wood are rough and filthy.

Ed, where was this, how much was it and do you know if some fool bought it?

Thing is, this is the sort of gift an unsuspecting friend/partner/family member would probably buy a woodworker. :lol: :lol: ... :cry:

One day it will happen.

might be worth buying just to repair it and get it working again, I hope it's not a groves saw or something valuable.

Oh dear....Last year I bought a complete 18 inch tenon saw with a very deep saw plate that was advertised on eBay as a cheese platter. The seller photographed it with a selection of cheese and biscuits etc. I bought it and sharpened it and use it as a saw. Thing is the saw plate wasn't in great condition (some rust pitting) and probably not particularly hygienic to eat off.

Maybe a magicians assistant made it? She got tired of being sawn in half and got even with a saw. A see how you like it kind of thing. :lol:

OK, it's confession time.

This thread is a good thickness detector (thickness in the sense of dim-wittedness).

I looked at the picture, thought it an act of minor vandalism and that it had inbuilt irony: the pointless, air-headed destruction of a good tool to make objects which prop up books i.e. repositories of knowledge and ideas.

So far, so good. "But what", I kept thinking, "is a lamp plane?" Could it be something like those odd planes that shave out a bit of wood to make space for a lock? Or is it some weird modern invention with a built in light so you can see where you are starting the pass?

Naturally the repurposing idea eventually came to me and I don't think that I want to see a picture of one.

Doh!

I wouldnt feel to sorry for it.
It looks like a spear and jackson.
The back appears to be painted brass. The handle looks like a remake and not a great one. The teeth are completly gone (must have been veey hard wood :wink: ). Cheap chaff with a splash of glitter on it.

The planes on the other hand make little sense (not that this makes sense).

novocaine":12r8idkg said:
It looks like a spear and jackson........

What's wrong with a Spear & Jackson? I've got an absolutely gorgeous little dovetail saw by them (mainly):

RsDTLBA.jpg

gRsLanT.jpg

I couldn't fault it in any way, now that it's got a decent handle.

AndyT":341ujq1p said:
Yes, on several levels. It looks like the saw was in better condition than most and could have been a good user. The bits of wood are rough and filthy.
Yes!

AndyT":341ujq1p said:
Ed, where was this, how much was it and do you know if some fool bought it?
It was on a certain peer-to-peer sales site. Price was 30 quid IIRC and it was still for sale the last time I checked.

thetyreman":341ujq1p said:
might be worth buying just to repair it and get it working again...
What, by welding the saw plate and brazing the back? :D

Sadly I think to a user this is now just a parts donor (and there is some good stuff there) unless someone wanted to try for a very short dovetail saw?

novocaine":341ujq1p said:
It is, which makes it a perfectly decent user saw. At least as good as later Disstons, with actually slightly better looks than many.

novocaine":341ujq1p said:
The back appears to be painted brass. The handle looks like a remake and not a great one.
Back is solid brass and the handle is, I judge, the original. Both after a good cleanup.

oh goody I've said something controversial on UKW :roll:
1. nothing wrong with a spear and jackson, they are 10 a penny though and I'm far less annoyed by it then something rare.
2. the back maybe solid brass, it still looks like it's been painted a brass colour which could be hiding a multitude of sins.
3. the top horn edge doesn't look right for the original pattern but that doesn't mean it isn't I appreciate that.

the smiley faces should have been a give away that I was being obtuse for the sake of it, guess not.

novocaine":74cf2f64 said:
The back appears to be painted brass. The handle looks like a remake and not a great one. The teeth are completly gone (must have been veey hard wood :wink: ). Cheap chaff with a splash of glitter on it.

The planes on the other hand make little sense (not that this makes sense).
This has made me smile...
Spear and Jackson no good??? :lol:
Painted brass??? :lol:
=D>

AndyT":2zgn1oqu said:
The bits of wood are rough and filthy.
I have a particular dislike for "rustic" or similar adjectives being used as an excuse for poorly made tat. Usually it's the roughest palette wood, barely finished and bodged together with butt joints and screws.

phil.p":2bsh01an said:
I would have thought it is brass, but coarse wire wooled or cleaned up with coarse emery or w&d making it matt.
I'm pretty certain you're on the money there.

I'll let others decide for themselves:

GnoDXU1.jpg

Back