In search of a cheapie 1/2" router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno, but it strikes me you've only just got burned? I'd be more tempted in terms of time spent to go for something up the market a little bit? Even an Axminster 1/2 is only £100 - and they are easy to send back?

Adam

Anyone know anything about those Trend-badged 1/2-inch routers that B&Q are selling? Looks like a Trend but common sense tells me you ain't getting a T9 for less than £100 :).

Curiously, they're not listed on the B&Q website but they had loads of Trend stuff in my local B&Q last week.

Fair point, Adam.

Looking at it, I now realise that it is identical to the Erbauer ERBRT3-240 from Screwfix for £84.99. IMHO.

The Erbauer was reviewed in New Woodworking Issue 52. On the plus side it comes with a built in raiser (the knob at the top) but as the review said, play in the stems negates this. Way I read it is that you adjust, then plunge lock ...to find that it's gone out of adjustement.

Other than that it got a pretty reasonable review.

Roger,

I am a firm believer in the maxim "you get what you pay for"

I have bought Trend kit at half price from a Charity in N Wales. The kit is refurbished by Trend and sold by mail order from the charity. I'm at work now so don't have access to my magazines but the charity used to advertise in the back of the woodworking mags in the last few pages..small ad. I have not noticed them recently but I've not had cause to notice them...they are still there and alive though.

I will look up the address and name when I get home.

But T3...£25 ish, T5...£55 ish, T9...£110 ish.......I have a T9 and T5 from them 2 yrs ago....has been great with no faults and Trend accuracy. They sell Trend cutters at 50% of list as well.

regards

alan

Not sure about the Trend routers being sold by B&Q but I do know they are good in giving refunds if their products are not satisfactory. I would have thought the risk in buying from them was low.

On the same subject, a few months ago I bought a cheapo JCB 1/2 router from Makro - about £40. It works fine (so far!)

It comes with 12.7, 8 and 6.35mm collets, has a soft start, and a micro adjuster. The plunge bearings are OK, a little play when plunging if you deliberately push to one side, but fine when used normally.

For the money I am well pleased.

John

Hi Roger,

Just check that the Erbauer has variable speed, I have a feeling it doesn't...whereas the Axminster does.

Neil

Hi Roger, no its not like your first post.

JCB_Router.jpg

Hope this helps.

John

Hi Roger

I think you need to decide what is important to you - low price or decent quality; the two are pretty much mutually exclusive :? Although most mid-priced routers seem to be OK judging by the reports I have seen on here

I have owned a couple of B&Q routers which were below £100 and OK to use with no real problems. B&Q warranty their own kit for 3 years too

However, there will always be compromises in quality and materials and if you are after that extra bit of accuracy in guides (no play and phosphor bushes for instance), accurate depth stops, accurate collets etc., then a mid-priced router is probably best.

Hi Tony

I do agree with you. It's a balancing act.

I decided to go back to square one and just finished reading your excellent review of the Triton. Am I right in thinking that when mounted under a table that there is no need to fit an Xtreme Xtension since the plunge range/ collet access is more than adequate on the Triton?

Roger

Roger Sinden":2sr1zljk said:
Hi Tony

I do agree with you. It's a balancing act.

I decided to go back to square one and just finished reading your excellent review of the Triton. Am I right in thinking that when mounted under a table that there is no need to fit an Xtreme Xtension since the plunge range/ collet access is more than adequate on the Triton?

Roger

Yes, the collet extends right beyond the base and above my router table insert for very easy bit changing without any extension pieces. It also locks in place ready for application of a spanner :D

Roger,

I said I would provide the details of the charity I mentioned which resold factory refurbished Trend kit. They are:-

Positive Community Spirit Trust
PO Box 10
Llandrindod Wells
Powys LD1 5WJ

Tel: 01597 810785

email: [email protected]

Tool Sales Manager is Terry Crickmore.

Charity Number 1069359.

Typical prices from a 2 yr old price list were:-

T5 carry case £10
CRT / MK2 router table £72.50
T3 with carry caser £22.50
T5EK £82.50
T20k Biscuit Joiner £69.50
Basically 50% off catalogue prices. Tools sold in good faith and are tested and in excellent order. In event of dissatisfaction money refunded without question.

There was also a 3 page list of router bits at 50% off.

I suggest you give them a call. Verify Charity number or email and ask for a price list. I can recommend from good experiences 2 yrs ago.

Thanks Alan. I'll give them a call.

Just saw a brand new DW625 go for £202 on eBay which is about £40 less than the cheapest price I've seen advertised. On the assumption that the company isn't going to sell at a loss then there sure is quite a margin out there. :wink:

Roger,
The DW625 sounds interesting. I saw it somewhere recently at £219, probably an internet seller/tools company. I guess that these are going to come down in price a bit further yet...especially as dollar gets weaker.

I have often wondered if some of these ebay bargains were refurbed or factory rejects...you know with small marks ir what have you and then refurbed.....some dealers are very clear on this others ain't. Probably I'm too cynical...

Anyway ....good luck with the charity call.

alan

Hi Roger

Roger Sinden":18yfy8r7 said:
Just saw a brand new DW625 go for £202 on eBay which is about £40 less than the cheapest price I've seen advertised. On the assumption that the company isn't going to sell at a loss then there sure is quite a margin out there. :wink:

How about 204.25, which includes delivery: -

http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?productid=64228

Cheers
Neil

Well, the woodwork fairy smiled on me again. Just happened to call a friend/builder/woodworker yesterday and while chewing the cud mentioned my fun and games with the 12mm router. After he'd finished laughing, he told me that he'd bought a Makita 3612C at a car boot sale and he didn't want it. Was I interested?

Cut a long story short...yup...it's seen some use...quite a bit I'd say but I can't find owt wrong with it. The spring on the plunge lock is worn out but the lock itself seems to work just fine. The whirly bits go round very smoothly and so it'll do to be going on with, I reckon.

Well, for £20, can't really go wrong. :D :D :D

Back