In praise of the split top bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakydoky

Reaction score
20220722_150721.jpg

I wizzed this up today. It's just a sort of 3 sided box to go over a stack of HiFi separates in the kitchen to tidy it up a bit. Anyway for anyone making a bench may I seriously recommend a split top. Here I've dropped one end of said piece with a couple of wedges as seen. Made holding for cleaning up a breeze.

I wizzed this up today. It's just a sort of 3 sided box to go over a stack of HiFi separates in the kitchen to tidy it up a bit. Anyway for anyone making a bench may I seriously recommend a split top. Here I've dropped one end of said piece with a couple of wedges as seen. Made holding for cleaning up a breeze.
That's the plan, I'll get there eventually. Frame made, split top in progress!
118673-603CDE1E-6845-465C-AA2D-FEA0328515AE.jpeg

20220722_162934.jpg

I've cut steps into the insert so it can be placed at varying heights. My bench top is pretty cheapish pine. I actually prefer that to hardwood and like the fact that i can knock the odd panel pin into it for custom work holding.

My current bench is a split top and like you I think its very versatile. I have had a couple of Nicholson like benches before this one but am finding I like the split top better for my style of working. 10 years on this one and still liking it.
Regards
John

Latest posts

Back