In need of a dovetail saw, a saw file and the setting tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a problem with dovetail saws, it will be with setting. None of the setting tools I've seen - notably the Eclipse 77's - goes beyond 12 tpi. In 77's, the trick is ti find one where the 'Made in Great Britain' label is cast inside the handle in a single line. Later ones had it on two lines, and have a broader tooth hammer, that is difficult to use above about 10 tpi.

But if anyone has identified a setting tool that goes up to 16, I'd definitely be interested!

The Eclipse is fairly easily modified to set fine teeth. Note that the numbers do not relate to TPI but are just npositions on the anvil. What determines the applicability to small dovetail teeth, as found in a typical 15 tpi, is the width of the hammer. Dissemble the tool, and grind the hammer narrower. Now it will work.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I cut a few dovetails using a teflon coated tenon saw from Axi (teeth were coarse and it didn't cut very well - felt more like a rasp than a saw really!) and also using a 40 year old Japanese dovetail saw which I borrowed from a friend, who said it hasn't been sharpened in decades.
This was just a practice run to see if I had it in me. The results were better than some first attempts I have seen online, but far from what I'd call acceptable. Need to practice more (needless to say this!)

Anyway, I am in need of a whole set of things for me to cut dovetails on hardwood - a saw, a file to sharpen it and a saw set to set the teeth (based on watching Mr. Sellers on youtube)

I was wondering to buy an old small tenon saw, 10 inch or so (13-16 tpi) with a decent blade on it and then sharpen and set the teeth on it - again this is based on Mr. Sellers blog.

Any recommendations on the makes, types of these items? Or have I got this completely wrong - if so, please don't hold anything back :lol:

Please share your thoughts!

I'd buy a Veritas dovetail saw Bahco Hand Saws - Norfolk Saw Services
A brilliant saw for a relatively cheap price, your dovetails will immediately improve with this saw, keep just for dovetailing and it won't want any attention for a long time.
Regards Mark

Plenty of classic 8" 15 tpi Spear & Jackson still around on Ebay etc.

I was wondering to buy an old small tenon saw, 10 inch or so (13-16 tpi)
You are probably on the right track there for size, though I don't think you said what size your dovetails are to be.

If the saw is sharp and nicely set the job should go like a dream. Be aware that many saws these days are hardpoint and not intended to be filed.

Straightforward dovetails are quite simple, relying on the sophisticated trick of sawing to a line .... if you can do that, you can do dovetails. :)

Back