In Harm's Way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just finished reading the story of the USS Indianapolis ....'that was steaming through the South Pacific, on her way home having delivered the bomb that was to decimate Hiroshima seven days later, when she was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. Of a crew of 1196 men an estimated 300 were killed upon impact; the remaining 900 sailors went into the sea. Undetected for five days, they struggled to stay alive, fighting off sharks, hypothermia and dementia. By the time rescue arrived, only 317 men were left alive.'

What an unbelievably harrowing story...roughly 200 men, or 50 a day eaten by sharks, suffering terrible salt water sores, dying through drinking seawater and covered for the most part in thick fuel oil from the sinking ship, as well as terrible injuries from the explosions itself. If you see a copy of 'In Harms Way', grab it....its so good that SWIMBO gona read it...now there is a shock to the system

....and I've been promoted :lol: - Rob

Yes I have read it Rob, it is very good indeed. I used to follow stories of shipping incidents being interested in Wreck diving of course. Not that I have dived the wreck of the Indianapolis of course. :wink:

Back