In ear ear defenders recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwalker84

Reaction score
I'm fed up of trying to make my big over hear ear defenders fit on my head at the same time as a dust mask and eye protection... It just doesn't work!

So I'm thinking of some small silicone style ear plug defenders.

Don't want foam, as I don't like the idea of having to squish them every time I want to use them... That's just asking to get glue and sawdust in my ears.

I DO like the idea of something hanging round my neck, pop them in when I need them, pop them out when I'm done.

Any recommendations?
I end up going down a rabbit hole of worrying about dB ratings etc. so would rather hear about people's real world experience.

go surfing for shooting ear defenders. Lots to choose from, all excellent. i have peltor for most days, but a set of custom silicone in ear plugs for those REALLY STUPIDLY loud days. =D>

There is one factory I work in that has this type of plug in the dispensers as you go in - I take a handful every time I pass it to keep my van and garage stocked up :lol: They're the best in-ear type as they just push in without scrunching them up and the connecting string is actually string, not plastic. Plastic corded ones tend to stick to your neck and pull the plug out. I'm sure you can get them cheaper elsewhere, but that is the type I would be looking for.

I have just bought a pair of these Peltor 3M ear muffs that attach round the neck. I was a bit sceptical at first but now I have used them for a couple of weeks I am delighted with them. They are incredibly comfortable and don't interfere with my specs and if I am doing tasks where I have them on and off I just slip them off and they hang quite comfortably round my neck.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-H520B-Pelto ... F81DW3ZHZD

As a guitarist I have ACS custom moulded ear plugs for gigs, and use them in the workshop and other loud places. They cost me £100 several years ago, and are probably more now, but a lot cheaper than hearing aids.

I went to Makers Central and there was a brand called Isotunes which did some bluetooth in ear ones that could play your music through and were certified to some british standard or other. I got a discount card, the code is MC15 i think its valid til the end of may. They are expensive, but they were very good as I tried some in a loud hall and could only hear the music. They magnetically clip together too and have small buttons for easy pausing.

+1 for isotunes pro from me too.

You can also buy replacement ear foam buds on amazon too - Comply foam ones fit.

In reality, most decent sound isolating in ears will do the trick, comply make the best "squishy" bits that mould to your ears and block external sound. I use a pair of shure SE425's and a bluetooth adaptor for decent sound and sound isolation.

Latest posts

Back