In a rut with rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trev:
In fairness to Rutlands, I don't think that they were at all hiding behind the Sale of Goods Act. What they did, quite voluntarily and without argument, was to provide the remedy, i.e. offer full refunds, as required by the Act. I don't think they could have done much better than that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that this was a 'bad' or 'wrong' response: but as Alf, I and Neil are suggesting, if you really want customer loyalty, you need to be seen to be doing more than just what is 'as required by the act'. In this e-enabled age, customers can and will shop around far more easily than ever before for many types of goods. This means that it is very difficult to compete on price - we all know that if you trawl through Rutlands, Axminster, Tilgear et al, the prices are all in roughly the same ballpark, by the time you've factored in p&p, special offers, etc etc.

So customers are attracted by 'other factors'. Speed of response, quality of service, the feeling that there's an intelligent support team on the end of the 'phone/e-mail, as opposed to a teenage Peruvian who has trouble with the english language in some foreign call centre that is covering a tool seller, 2 insurance companies and a baby food help line...( :roll: )

The above response is a good start - but compare it with Lee Valley or Lie Neilsen. Rob Lee - the owner - for goodness' sake - is willing to put his name behind personal answers on this (and several other) boards, and offer courteous and informative answers to most of our weird, 'planespotterish' questions. If somebody has a problem with their goods from either of these firms, the response is normally a quite simple 'OK, if you're not happy, we'll replace it or refund your money as soon as possible'. The attitude is not the sort of curmudgeonly UK 'we'll discharge our legal responsibility here', but a positive wish to have the customer go away singing their praises to all and sundry, and be a happy repeat customer in the future. I'm not trying to flatter them to death here, but to observe that this sort of thing generates a feeling of 'wow - nice people to deal with, who aren't just in the business of flogging boxes of stuff to me...' I'm at the stage where I now tend to buy appropriate products from these 2 firms direct, simply because of the service and attention to detail.

Having said all of that - I say again - well done Rutlands: I think this is the second major UK mail order outfit to be willing to appear on the boards (after Brimarc). All they need to do now is, firstly, replace that name with the name and title of the person actually posting - if they're willing to make statements, they should be willing to let us know in what capacity (see my remarks re Rob Lee above, or think of the Brimarc boys in here). Secondly, keep listening and responding to sensible criticism: "if you help them, they will come (and spend... :) )"

Alf & Shady,

I do, of course, agree entirely with what you have said. Although Rutlands did meet their obligations, it is doing just that little bit extra that so often counts. Perhaps Rutlands, in the light of your excellent postings, may pick up on this - although it seems that the apparent half-story given in the first instance may not have helped in this case.

Still, the signs are encouraging, eh? But do, please, give us a name Rutlands - you can see what others have achieved.

Cheers,

Trev.

Tim

This is the wife who "should come clean" here! I would just like to say that my husband chose the damaged workbench! Having also bought him the JessEm Router System, a dovetail jig and a few other bits and pieces for Christmas which I can't say otherwise he'll know about them too, I don't think that's bad going really.
So watch out - woodworkers wives read this forum too!!!

Happy Christmas to you all and happy woodworking in the New Year to all you lucky men who got new tools for Christmas!

To all woodworking widows - I'd rather my husband was happy woodworking in his shed than playing football or getting slaughtered in the pub. It means I get to see him for a cuppa break, he makes me nice things & enjoys doing it and I also might be able to sneak off for retail therapy in the January sales - he'll be so busy he might not notice! He won't mind either coz he got what he wanted for Christmas! :lol:

Blimey :shock: :shock: Very commendable initiative in order to acquire shopping time unnoticed at the Jan. sales. :roll:

Happy Christmas Mrs. dc1075 (and david) :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

how do i fix it so the wife cannot read whats on this group :? jan sales :cry: :cry: :cry: i wont have any dosh left for that nice t/saw with the nice sliding table :wink: :wink:

Blimey :shock: that'll be my backside getting a kicking then!!

To David's wife:

I absolutely meant no offence - please don't take it in any other way than the lighthearted way it was intended! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

The case presented suggested that David (not you) had purchased full priced (not discounted - for whatever reason) goods and that the supplier had not necessarily provided him with the best possible service (as they have once or twice with me in the past and some others on the forum). Rutlands' response presented a different side, on which I commented.

I commend you in your quest to buy tools for your husband to enable him to get the most out of his hobby when so many would see it as a waste of time and effort.

My wife is kind enough, supportive enough and understanding enough to go out to work to pay for the mortgage while I get my furniture business off the ground.

I am also well known for 'rescuing' timber from skips - yesterday found thirty oak baluster spindles in Bath - so am not shy of a bargain!

Welcome to the forum and happy Christmas.

T

PS Isn't this all David's fault :lol:

davidc1075":31p90iwe said:
So watch out - woodworkers wives read this forum too!!!
Did I feel a collective shudder run through the married members of this august group...?
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

blimey tim your as well trained as the rest of use :? (yes dear grovel ,its all my fault dear grovel yes dear you can have my c/card grovel grovel . can i go into my playroom now . :wink: :wink: :wink: )

Tim

:D
I was only being light-hearted in return!
I wouldn't use his credit card.........I'd use my own!!
I also work hard too, to pay the mortgage and buy nice tools for my hubby (and the odd bit of retail therapy occasionally!).

Happy Christmas to you and your wife Tim. :lol:
Regards
Lis & David

Tim

All the very best with your furniture business.

David's birthday present was a 3 day cabinet making course (I know how to treat a man!!) in Derbyshire, which he enjoyed but I should imagine you're passed going on courses for this if you're setting up your own business. Give me a shout if you want the details of the place that runs the courses.

Regards
David's wife

Back