Impulse buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arghhh! I'm not having much luck at the moment. The package finally arrived today, but wasn't too impressed when I opened the box:

[Edit: pics now here.]

This corrosion(?) is everywhere on the silver finish - including worryingly around the arbor too. God knows where this saw has been kept! The drill was ok but doesn't have as much silver finish on it. So the whole thing is packed up ready to go back to Toolstation. I've had to fork out another £236 since the process of sending back and refunding can take up to a week (and I can't wait that long) - so they had better refund the money! Online / mail ordering still has a long way to go ... With my company's laptop and phone contract the courier actually does a collect / drop off service - saves a lot of faffing! I don't really see why I should be out of pocket but there you go.

Cheers

Gidon

Talking of replacement batteries....

Does anyone know if Screwfix are selling the regular DW batteries with their 12V special offer drill for £70 or do they supply XR packs? Might be worth buying it just for the batteries?

OK I know you'll be sick of this, but I really need some advice from you wise people ...

Second one arrived today - a little better but still noticeable :(. Now I think it's mostly superficial - so should I keep this one and be done with it or send it back and get a full refund. The trouble is because a new model has updated this one (just has 2.4Ah batts instead of 2.0Ah) I got this one £50 cheaper - so it's a good price and the combi drill alone seperately seems to cost over £200 everywhere I see it.

Really can't decide what to do - I hate this sort of faffage.

Here's the new one - doesn't look so bad in the wide angle pic!

[Edit: pics now here.]

Cheers

Gidon

A difficult one. The company obviously did not advertised their special offer as "slightly damaged" so you have every right to request a refund or replacement.
On the other hand if they are all marked like the ones you have so far received you might end up with a refund and no tools.

Could you try speaking to them (& emailing the photo) and perhaps try and solicit a further discount or spare blade, battery or vouchers perhaps.

Andy

If the outside has been tarnished by salt(?) what's the internal bits like? Then again it might just have been a paint/finish reaction and nothing to do with salt or a moist storage condition? Any other indication that the tools have been lying in a container for a few months/years?

Noel

For the money they're asking - I'd expect mint, factory quality. Clearly they look sub-standard. I wonder just how old they could be and whether if in fact they are, that the batteries might also be in less than perfect condition - whether they'll still have their nominal capacity?

A "nooooo, I don't think so!", in my book. They're a bit naughty palming this kit off without qualification.

cheers

Ike

Gidon, although price is tempting I'd send it back, either for refund or proper condition at same price. You could replace with Panasonic but suspect will be a tad more expensive (but at least you'll get proper kit and decent NMH batteries).

Noel, who would be temped at half-price.

Thanks.

Noely - the drill, batts, manuals and charger are all in perfect condition - just the blade casing of the saw.

Ike - I know you're right - but at the minute I really can't be bothered with waiting in another day for it to be collected - and then still being without!

To be fair I'm pretty sure Toolstation didn't know of the problem. The reduced price was because a replacement package has come out.

I'm not optimistic that a replacement will be any better so, Andy, I followed your advice and phoned them up. They are happy to take the package back but will also give me another 10% off (£24) if I want to keep it. I have written to the manager of Toolstation attaching the above pics. If they can knock more like 25% off I will probably keep it. It seems to be functional, and buying the drill (which seems ok apart from the gear switch being very stiff and sometimes getting stuck!) on it's own would cost almost as much anyway!

Will keep you posted ...

Cheers

Gidon

HELLO EVERYONE!

FIRST TIME ON FORUM. ON THE SUBJECT OF DEWALT TOOLS, I BUY A FAIR BIT OF DEWALT GEAR AND WOULD LIKE TO RECCOMEND MY LOCAL SUPPLIER. THE PRICES ARE VERY HARD TO BEAT.

www.transtools.co.uk OR CONTACT LEE TOPHAM 01723 890631[/url]

Chris, John,

You're making us Mods redundant here you know. :lol:

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Pardon my cynical friend (I blame Mr Beckham's influence for removing his rose-tinted spectacles), but you do rather give the impression of posting something almost indistinguishable from spam, about which we're not wildly keen round here. If I misjudge you, I apologise, and feel free to add in the usual disclaimer with the edit facility. As John rightly remarks, the caps lock issue applies across the face of the 'Net, and is one worth taking notice of. Otherwise it appears as if you're SHOUTING, which is unfortunate. (And after all that the link won't work for me anyway. The 'puter's having a shocker this evening :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

sorry if it looked like spam, not intended but after reading all 67 pages of forum it seemed acceptable to reccomend a fair company that I have had good experiences with for a number of years. no offence intended and thanks for your welcome waterhead 37

steve wilson

Steve,
My apologies. I guess I was feeling a little cynical yesterday - not sure if it was Beckham or Blair that knocked my glasses off. :roll:

Any news/update today Gidon :?:

This is better than EastEnders and Coronation Street together, I can't wait to hear what happens next! :wink:

Welcome Steve and thanks for pointer. Look like some good prices.

CYC et al an update:

Well I sent a looong e-mail to the manager of Toolstation asking for a significant discount if I was to keep the damaged saw. Got a call from one of the regular staff - who like most of the staff I've spoken to there was very pleasant, although there all seem to need to check everything they tell you!

The best they could offer was 10% off which I didn't think was worth it. Especially if there was damage to the workings of the saw. They said they could send me a checked saw first thing the next day. Complained about having to wait in for a 4th day! And asked if they could at least send me the new version of the kit (with larger batts and more torque) - which they are selling for £285 (Screwfix £300). Told me this wasn't possible. So finally agreed to take a checked package and return the corroded monster I had.

Well as luck would have it they had run out of the combo pack I had ordered! So agreed to send me the new version (at no extra charge) which I received yesterday! Perfect condition as far as I can tell and great to get the latest upgraded version (DC984 drill and DW935 saw). I'm not jumping around with joy yet because I'm still waiting (a 5th day!) for them to collect the damaged goods and refund my £236. But look forward to having a play this weekend. Will try and write a review when I get a chance.

I'm very chuffed I didn't keep the other kit - I would never have been really happy with it.

Cheers

Gidon

Back