Impulse buy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Yikes - just splashed out on a Dewalt 14.4v cordless drill/circular saw combo! Fed up of getting out the huge heavy Dewalt corded circular saw for cutting down large boards to size. And my 9.6v bosch drill is great but I need a little more power sometimes. And this one has hammer which means I may be able to use it for DIY.
Someone please tell me I've made a good decision!
Will report back if anyone is interested.
(How am I going to explain this to the wife!)
Cheers
Gidon

Well, DW is alleged to be top notch kit, so technically I suppose it's a good decision...just need to convince HID! :)

Enjoy!

Ike

Now Gidon, I personally have taken a lot of stick on this forum in the last day or two (some of it from you :roll: ) so am unable to apply a soothing balm to your forehead.
Nice one on the DW though.
no hard feelings,
Philly :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :wink:

Thanks Chaps - sort of made me feel better! But turns out the kit is out of stock :(. I don't hold out much hope now - just shows when a deal seems too good to be true ...
Philly - when have I ever given you any stick :wink:.
Cheers,
A gutted Gidon

That's a shame Gidon. I know screwfix sell the DW combination kits, but they're still not (or not again) taking orders.

I know my 18v drill/driver DW is a wonderful bit of kit - been going strong for 5 years, and i never reach for a corded drill these days!

Thanks for those links Esp - Toolstation has the 14.4 volt combo kit for £236 inc vat - which is the best price I've seen by £40 odd - and just low enough to tempt me! They expect stock again next week ...

It's a bit of a luxury item for me to be honest but Toolstation had Saturday am delivery for £5 and I had lots of plans for it this weekend! Still I'll see if I'm still feeling flush next week if they have them back in ...

Cheers

Gidon

[expletive deleted] that is a good price! No wonder you were tempted! I have noticed of late that the screwfix prices are becoming less competetive - shame really.

I'd worry about Screwfix - this is their advertising copy for the 5 piece kit (Italics are mine)

"Excellent value 18V 5 Piece Combo Kit, with every tool you will ever need! Professional range includes Combi Drill, Reciprocating Saw, Jigsaw, Circular Saw, Flexible Flashlight, 2 batteries, rapid charger and heavy duty carry case."

I wish I had know I only needed 5 tools before I bought all those others!

I've noticed that too - Toolstation seem pretty good - and have free next delivery until Christmas. I'm not convinced their fixings are the same quality as Screwfix but they are far cheaper. I bought some boxes of nuts and bolts and for the same quantity they were exactly half the price of Screwfix and with free delivery. And a decent website which keeps you informed (Screwfix seems to only tell you stuff is dispatched when it has already arrived!). But the nuts and bolts didn't appear as good quality as the stuff from Screwfix - and all branded Silverline! Still good enough for my requirements in this case.

Cheers

Gidon

Chris - the amount of times I've thought if only I had a cordless recipricating saw and a flexible flashlight I could really get this job done!!

It doesn't even include a cordless router - I don't know :?.

Cheers

Gidon

Gidon
I've had a DW set for 6 or 7 years I guess. It was Drill and Trimsaw with free Torch (no battery with the torch) It was 250ish at the time IIRC, and I've never regretted it.
The batteries are just starting to fail, they charge up in no time and last a few minutes, I need to get some new ones. This has just started happening this week.
I did fix the battery on my Turbovisor a year or two back. I bought cells from Maplin and put them in the original case. £12 instead of 80-odd for a new Turbovisor battery unit. But when I took out the screw on my DW today, the pack stayed resolutely closed. Not even a hint of opening. Has anyone opened up one of these things? IIRC the new batteries are 50 apiece and I need 3!
Cheers Steve

Thanks Steve. How do you find the trim saw? I've no idea how much wood I would be able to cut with it on one charge. Do you have the 14.4v model? As for batteries - have you tried Ebay. I bought a battery for my Bosch drill there very cheaply a while back.

John - it does look quite nifty. I'll certainly let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Gidon

I'm interested in the cordless saw as well. Seems to be just the thing for trimming the 8x4 prior to the table saw or even at the timber merchants to get it on the car roof.

Coincidently, you may have seen my recent post where I was ripped off on Ebay. Well the item I won and never received was an 18v Dewalt trim saw !!!!

Jeff

Gidon, the trimsaw is EXCELLENT. OK, so I haven't tried any others, so no comparison, but I wouldn't be without it. Great for converting sheets of 8x4.
If I buy MDF from B&Q, they will cut it for me, on a big Stieberg, but for veneered board at my local woodyard, I take along two pairs of trestles, a saw guide and my trimsaw and do it in the car park. Sorted.

I'll try the Ebay route.

Cheers
Steve

Jeff - my plans exactly. I did once bring my handsaw to cut up some oak planks - never again! I saw that post - they seem to be a few buyers selling these kits on Ebay - I think I'll steer clear for the time being!

Thanks Steve - as long as it's good enough for your I'm sure it'll be plenty good enough for me! I usually get standard 8x4's cut in two at B&Q but still struggle with 4x4's in my workshop.

Cheers

Gidon

My son-in-law has the 14.4V Dewalt combo kit and it works very well. He uses the saw as his main power saw and cuts 2x4's with it for framing all the time! I have the 12V version and although the drill is excellent the saw doesn't have the power I would like - but it "does what it says on the box" and works well as a trim saw for cedar clap-boards. I have used it to cut aluminium sheet and 1/4 ply, but anything heavier and it really struggles - even pine floorboards run the hi-power battery down after only 6-9" of cutting... and forget 3/4 ply....

Thanks WHW - just what I wanted to hear! Interesting there's such a difference between 12 and 14.4v.

Although they told me it's out of stock - I notice that it's been sent out to me today!

Cheers

Gidon

Latest posts

Back