Improving the #66 Hand Beader

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Improving the #66 Hand Beader

Stanley produced the #66 Hand Beader between 1886 and 1941. This was shaped along the lines of a spokeshave but the irons were captured at the same angle as a scraper plane, and this is how it was used.

The #66 came supplied with two fences, one rectangular for straight edges, and the other oval for round edges. There were 8 cutters that were made up of single beads, reeds, a flute, and a router.

Of course, it was possible to make one’s own irons – in fact, this is a simple task that I shall later illustrate - which increases the range of this simple but useful finishing tool.

Good condition, vintage #66s with both fences and all blades command a pretty penny on eBay these days. For much the same price one can purchase a new Lie-Nielsen model in bronze, which is quite a stunner, and it comes with thicker irons and improved performance.

66_lg.jpg

My first #66 was a lonely Stanley minus irons and fences. I purchased the missing pieces from LN and, in addition, made my own irons for this. The LN fences require a little filing to fit the Stanley body. The irons fit without modification.

For the past few years the #66 has lain in a drawer as I have instead preferred to make and use simple scratchstocks. In particular, I liked the ones made by Garrett Hack:

HackScratchstock1.jpg

One of the features I valued on the scratchstock was the large registration area of the fence. Compared to the Stanley/LN, it is massive.

Quite recently I won another derelict Stanley #66-minus-irons-and-fences. I had a little fun cleaning off the rust and shining it up. Here it is with LN fence and iron.

Stanley66-1.jpg

This time I decided that I would build a decent fence, one with substantial registration. I was sure that this would improve the performance of the #66, which up till now I have felt to be less stable/predictable than desired.

For those that simply wish to use the original fence design, and lack one for their #66, then the following tutorial will help you make one as well.

Further, I shall demonstrate how simple it is to make one’s own irons. The world is your oyster when it comes to shapes.

Building a fence

I used scraps lying around the workshop. There was this chunk of marine grade aluminium that seemed just right. Mark off a section a little over the width as the LN fence and about twice the length. The LN is ½” x 1 ¾”.

A hacksaw and a little cutting oil makes fast work.

1Stanley66mod-Aluminium1.jpg

It will later be more clearly seen that the length I am using is slightly shorter than the full length of the LN/Stanley fence. For my purpose the full length is unnecessary. However, for those wanting to create an “original” type, then cut it to 1 ¾”.

Mark off the waste and remove this with the hacksaw. Note, these dimensions are not critical. I eyeballed everything and cut as close to the line as possible. The only important dimension is the tenon. This must fit snuggly inside the slide.

2Stanley66mod-Aluminium2.jpg

Here I am checking the fit of the tenon. When filing, use one with coarse teeth. I usually add chalk to the face but did not have any today so have to frequently brush the teeth to keep them clean.

Make sure the fence sits square to the slide otherwise you will later be cutting across the iron.

3Stanley66mod-Aluminium3.jpg

Now it is time to add the clearance cut-out for the blade. Both the Stanley and the LN are V-shaped. But there is nothing that says this is law. I made mine round. So much easier!

4Stanley66mod-halfroundclearance4.jpg

The Fence Screw

The basic building block was a brass hose connector or, to be exact, what was left of one.

I cut off a section, then epoxied in a piece of brass to fill the end and a brass screw for the thread. I used black-tinted epoxy to create the band on the head.

5Stanley66mod-screw4.jpg

Now the tenon can be tapped to accept this thread.

6Stanley66mod-Tapforscrew1.jpg

Back to the fence

Using a drill, mortice chisel and slick, a mortice is formed in a Jarrah section 5 ½” x ¾” x ¾”. This will be the new fence.

7Stanley66mod-mortice4.jpg

The final shaping, and then finished with wax.

8Stanley66mod-mortice3.jpg

Here the fence is attached.

9Stanley66mod-front3.jpg

Build an iron

As a change of pace from the LN irons, one can very easily makes one’s own. The one here took me about 10 minutes.

As an aside, I once accepted a bet that I could make a scratchstock and iron and cut a bead to a set depth faster than a fellow woodworker could set up a ‘tailed router in a table and cut the same simple bead. I won. The point is that this is such a simple task. No heat treating. Just a piece of ¾” wide bandsaw blade (that has had its teeth removed on a beltsander, which reduces it to the desired width for the #66), a selection of chainsaw sharpening files, and honing equipment (I use a extra fine diamond plate, a leather strop with green rouge (.5 microns) and a waterstone slip.

Step one, cut off a section of the bandsaw steel. Step two, smooth the faces.

10Stanley66mod-blade1.jpg

Step three is to file the desired profile. Here I am making a simple bead for illustration.

Step four is to make sure that all surfaces – face and edges – are polished as smooth as possible.

11Stanley66mod-blade2.jpg

The Performance

I first tried out the #66 with the LN irons. The new fence really makes the beader so much easier to use. It is significantly more stable, less inclined to wander off course, and this translates into a better finish than usual.

12Stanley66mod-InusewithLNblade.jpg

Lastly I used the bandsaw irons. This are thinner than the LN irons and flex slightly. In use I think that I actually preferred them. I like the LN. I like these ones as well. They cut cleanly and easily.

13Stanley66mod-InusewithBandsawblad.jpg

I definitely see more use for this #66 in the future

Derek Cohen
Perth, Australia
August 2007

Thanks for that Derek as I have one that has not being used but I might give it a go now :wink:

Can you also so tell me how you cleaned it, as mine has a green tint :roll:

Regards Colin

Hi BB

I note that the fence for your scratch stock is 80mm long. This is about twice the length of the LN/Stanley fence. Mine is about 140mm in all.

Obviously 80mm works, but the question is "what is the optimum length?".

Probably somewhere between 80 and 140mm.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi BB

I note that the fence for your scratch stock is 80mm long. This is about twice the length of the LN/Stanley fence. Mine is about 140mm in all.

Obviously 80mm works, but the question is "what is the optimum length?".

Probably somewhere between 80 and 140mm.

I suspect the length of the "perfect" fence varies with cutter size, shape, fence-cutter distance and a load of other stuff.

I've only used my scratch stock for small (3-5mm) beads, ovolos and grooves, for which 80mm seemed to work well enough.Clearly, that's not enough information for me to defend 80mm as optimal in any way. In particular, I haven't used it for a "real" moulding.

As I note on my website, a short fence also has some "interesting" properties, which I try to analyse.

What do you think of my notion than 40mm may be pessimal?

BTW, "for the avoidance of doubt" (as our legal friends have it) I am most impressed by the design and metalworking skills you've displayed in this project.

BugBear

Derek:

Good work. If yout think the Ln66 is impressive then take a look at the LN66 white bronze limited edition.

cheers,

Gorodn Thomas

Very nice workmanship, Derek. I also do like the idea of a fence, though to be honest I seem to end up using it on curved work more then any other. Going all the way around the edge of a piece of maple is actually pretty interesting; you get a feel for what scraping the various bits is like. I will say that scraping end grain is a PITA.

Hi Paul

Wnat advice/tips can you offer about scraping end grain? That is a real pain in the watsit!

Alas, I have found no special tricks. I find you do have to go slow and take a "lighter" cut, but this is hardly sage unknown advice. One particular one that gave me a hard time was a piece where I was scraping in very small beads in a piece that was essentially an oval (of sorts). When you hit the very widest part of the oval (and were at perfect end-grain), the scratch stock tended to jam like crazy. First thing to learn was to reverse direction at that point, second was to go very lightly at that point, last was working in very small sections helps. All pretty intuitive, and even then still somewhat of a PITA.

Hi Paul

Wnat advice/tips can you offer about scraping end grain? That is a real pain in the watsit!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Make sure your workpiece is lignum vitae - that stuff scrapes like it has no grain direction; it shatters uniformly in all directions.

record43groover004.JPG

Note ends of fence.

BugBear

Bugbear,

Is that tearout I note on the long grain?
Possibly insufficient EP.....?

The moulding is awesome.

David C

bugbear":2v7gqqfv said:
Make sure your workpiece is lignum vitae - that stuff scrapes like it has no grain direction; it shatters uniformly in all directions.

Note ends of fence.

Very very nice detail, and very crisp. It is details like that which separate intersting work from the mundane.

Great how to, I have been thinking about a 66 for a long while now, but was always concerned with the fence not being long enough, great solution.
You make it look alot easier than I assume it is!

BB,

Steep EP and a fine shaving work wonders on even the nastiest i.e. Lignum interlocked grain. Just found a sample of antique Bee's wing figured satinwood that is even more brittle.

Tiny back bevel for regular planes or steep honing angle for bevel up planes.

I might go as high 75 degrees for this.

best wishes,
David

Back