Improving Knowledge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
All my woodworking skills and sawdust production has been learnt by trial, error or otherwise. I would like to improve my knowledge, but unfortunately I am unable to find a course that is of good enough standard and fits in with child care and family commitments. Does anyone know of a distance learning course that could benefit my technical knowhow and procedures in Cabinet and Furniture Making?

Seems to me is that what you might benefit from the most is some good quality woodworking videos. I can't see how a distance learning course is going to be any better that the best videos. I can particularly recommend those by a chap called Franz Klaus? something like that, anyway. I've got his finishing video but can't find it. Anyway, I thought his teaching methods are excellent, and I've heard him discussed in reverent tones on american forums

John

John - Thanks for the guidance. Do you know of the supplier for these videos? I can only find US ones on a google search.

Many have got interested in woodworking after watching New Yankee Workshop on satellite TV.
The show is very power tool oriented although there is little that can be done with a power tool that cannot be done by hand.
Unfortunately the DVDs of the shows are only availible in USA.
One thing NYW does do is to give you ideas of what you could do with wood if you put your mind to it.
I started making things from wood at 10 then used all hand tools, apart from an electric drill, for many years until I bought a table saw about 8 years ago.
I started making furniture from contiboard when I saw what MFI sold in the mid 70s and realised I could make things of better quality.
I later gave up on chipboard and went back to wood.
As my manual abilities have declined with age I have slowly built up a full workshop of mainly power tools which have enabled me to keep working with wood.

Freetochat":21vio5g6 said:
Do you know of the supplier for these videos?
Stobart Davies, Rutlands, Axminster, Classic Handtools. For dovetailing I'd suggest Rob Cosman over Frank Klaus I think. For planing Cosman and Charlesworth have good contrasting styles, and you can learn from both. Surprisingly enough I have no experience of any of the power tool or machinery ones... :lol: Another set of videos that's supposed to be very good are those by the late Jim Kingshott, but I've drawn a blank in trying to find a UK supplier (despite JK being British). Very frustrating, so if anyone knows the answer I'd hail them with gladsome cries. :D I believe "Build a Shaker Table" is pretty good for showing how to approach a whole project, but you might have to insert suitable table saw safety filters...

What we could really do with is people reviewing the videos and DVDs they already have... <hint, hint> :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back