Improve a cheap table saw or buy a more expensive one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_S

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly, hello. Secondly excuse what may be a foolish question. I am looking to buy a table saw. I am not very experienced in woodworking but it is something I have started to do with my son so a hobby. I want a table saw but the small site ones look flimsy or unable to work well with large pieces of wood. The more expensive ones with cast bases and big sides look better but are outside what I am comfortable paying at this stage in a hobby.

I look at a table saw as something that needs to cut, be easy to set in terms of width, steady and at an ergonomic height. The blade must be at a true right angle to the fence and probably have the right type of teeth for the job. I think thats all (from watching youtube).

I was wondering what would be the demerits of choosing a cheaper one, like a Titan and installing it in a workbench. I can cover the bench in sheets of aluminium to reduce friction and am reasonable confident that I can set the saw blade into a pre cut slit. I could probably also make use of this bench at a later state to house a router, thereby saving more money and space in what will be our workshop.

I would really appreciate your advice here. The cost of saw would be approx £100, the materials for the bench maybe £60-75.

It seems to me, that today, tools are cheaper than they ever have been, so I would buy the best I can afford, rather than trying to polish a cowpat.

personally, I would get a saw that needs a few tweeks and improve it that way, rather than start with a lemon. £100 wasted on the Titan, assuming it is the screwfix one is £100 wasted.

if your budget is tight, then I would get something secondhand, than something cheap and new. You are limited with what you can do on that Titan- the fence will be dreadful and the pressed steel top will prevent you from upgrading it.

Don't know if you're aware that the cheaper saws are extremely noisy, on account of their universal motors.
If you have neighbours and/or like to work in the evenings this may be a consideration for you.
Entry level for the quieter induction motored saws would be the Axminster TS-200.

I'd look for a used saw, you'd get more for the £100 then I think, you'd want a 10" or 250mm blade IMO or it will be too limiting.

however, the idea of building whatever you buy into a bench is sound. It is normal to use the table of the saw, and make the extension tables of the bench level with that.

You could also consider a track saw if you haven't already. If you are thinking of making stuff like boxes, cabinets etc you may well find a track saw more useful than a table saw.

Back