Improve a cheap metal bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
Obviously silk purse and pigs ear come to mind. That said I have owned a Taiwanese horizontal band saw for years. It sits in the corner and cuts lengths off bar for my lathe or little miller. Saving me time and effort in preparation and reducing the amount of metal I waste.
My question - given there are so many in existence, there must be some useful ideas out there on how to improve their usefulness in particular holding small and irregular pieces. A second thought is providing a coolant supply/ retrieval.
If you have made or seen any modifications I would be interested in hearing/ seeing them please.
One final thought, I have seen some machines supplied with a cutting table. How are these supported? I have the need to make a number of 3 inch by 1 inch blanks from 1/8 (3mm) aluminium plate.

many thanks

I put a motor cycle steering damper on the arm to allow you to adjust the cutting pressure lots of mods on the WWW.

The Steve Summers video was really helpfully- thank you. Any thoughts on using a UK sourced pump - I am wondering if a small fish tank pump would do the job? As the man says it doesn’t need to be a torrent if directed on to the blade as he has done.
The waste is not like turning swarf more like dust from filing so I need to reconsider the second tray.
Still pondering the motor bike damper, will talk to a mate of mine - but thank you.

Back