Impressive!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a tricky job.

I've never done a spiral/winding staircase but at college on straight flights the treads and risers are all housed into the stringers with wedges, is this not the case on a winding flight? If anyone's had experience I'd like to know the answer.

Did a couple of these back in the day. The risers and threads are housed into the inside string. The outside string is cut. You can have the inside cut aswell but the housed inside string is a better job.
Nice work. Everything has to be fairly exact. There is a lot of work in one compared to a open string straight flight.

Cheshirechappie":36t8ppds said:
The handrailing for flights like that is pretty impressive work as well. Not for the novice.

Yes indeed. I've looked at some of the written descriptions on how to define the 'wreath' for handrailing - the level of understanding of 3D geometry is beyond me - and I suspect it's beyond a lot of people who bang on about academic versus vocational qualifications.

Here is my own stairs. Cant seem to get the time to finish it. Still a bit of work left in the volute and wreath sections. No CNC machines here just the bandsaw, router, 4" grinder and some handtools.

Handrail.jpg

Handrail 1.jpg

handrail 2.jpg

Attachments

• Handrail.jpg
    Handrail.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Handrail 1.jpg
    Handrail 1.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 133
  • handrail 2.jpg
    handrail 2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 178
Bowsaw, spoke shave, chisels, gouges and a drawing of course.
A wreath cannot be done without a drawing..you could get away with a freehand volute but def not a wreath.

andersonec":bc19defw said:
So we go back to, How did they do it two hundred or more years ago?

Andy

With templates, time and a lot of wastage. Same way a lot of things were done

Aidan

The way the strings were done was..they built a full size curve and laminated the strings around this. Handrail was done the same. Wood was very expensive and still is so there was very little wastage. Everything was very well thought out before any timber was cut.

Back