Importing power tools from USA, has anyone here done it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a couple of Porter Cable non-plunging routers, seems the best place to get them is the USA. If I can only get 110 volt then I will buy one of those yellow building site transformers. The 50/60HZ discrepancy I don't see as a problem as they have brush motors which don't depend on the frequency of the supply (unlike induction motors).
I know I will have to pay VAT and duty when they arrive, but still the prices look good.
Has anyone done this, any recommendations as to suitable suppliers? (I've been suggested to try Amazon.com)
John

John,
I have brought in all the porter cable range and they all work great on the 110v supply, never had one give up in 4 years of use, i purchased through ebay,risky but i have never been let down there are a lot of people will ship worldwide if you ask
I have also noted the cheapest way to bring is USPS (americas post office) as ups, fedex etc are very expensive but usually are next to 2 day delivery. depends how long you want to wait.
The 50/60hz problem for induction motors isn't really a problem either your machine will run at a marginally slower speed, i have run these motors for over 4 years as well, the problems arises when you send a 50hz motor to run on a 60hertz cycle ie UK to USA
hope this was of help

Ian Dalziel

Hi John,

Unfortunately Amazon.com won't ship tools outside the US. I've never done this myself so I can't suggest any alternatives, but I'm sure you'll get some other good suggestions (and lots of advice not to do it at all!)

NeilCFD

John,

As Ian has mentioned, use the US PO, alot cheaper and unlike the courier firms there shouldn't be added charges for customs clearance etc. There is a very slight chance of not getting charged for EU import duty and VAT but on a 2 router package with the added weight and size you'll be lucky....
As Neil said, US Amazon won't ship to a non military address outside North America. Woodcraft, Rockler etc will but many have used
www.coastaltool.com
with good service and reasonable prices.

Rgds

Noel

use the US PO... unlike the courier firms there shouldn't be added charges for customs clearance etc

That used to be the case, but now dear old Royal Mail charge something like £9 to clear items through customs.

Jake

John

Are you sure that they will send 'em to England? I suspect they may not.

A lot of companies will not do this as it means treading on the toes of their UK dealers and subsidiaries

Also, did you factor the price of the transformer in your calcs as these are quite expensive.

I got my 240V PC router from Rutlands. Took about a week to arrive.

Tony

Tony

I'm not so much trying to save a few quid as to get what I want, ie a non-plunge (aka fixed base) router, which, as far as I know, nobody in the UK offers for sale

Sawdust Alley, thanks for the link, I knew I had read something on here about this stuff, but had been searching for 'import'. Interesting misunderstandings about series motors and supply frequency, sounds like a few people weren't paying attention during Physics.

John

I've put importing a fixed based router on hold for the moment as I'm planning on getting a Dewalt 625EK first.

As you can see from the thread I started the two main problems people brought up was using a 60hz router in a UK 50hz power supply and of course the customs charges. Please remember I or UKW can't recommend that anyone trys using a 60hz tool in the UK just incase something did happen!

The router I was looking at (PC690) is designed to be use from 25hz to 60hz so that should work just fine :)

The post office are now chargeing a fee to collect the customs duty you owe quite stiff minimum about £14 for the first £100.

did`nt B&Q once do a fixed base router? I seem to remember some people saying it was fairly good............

kityuser":apb4qgma said:
did`nt B&Q once do a fixed base router? I seem to remember some people saying it was fairly good............

Yeah their performance pro one. They were still selling it in my ocal B&Q when I went in the other day.

kityuser":2wn7ekle said:

I have one in my router table. Works fine. I picked it up for £50 when they had a load in and so reduced them

Latest posts

Back