Importing machinery UK to Ireland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Citracal

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was hoping someone here may have an idea of what the deal is with importing machinery from the UK to Ireland.

Basically, been working as a Cabinetmaker in the UK for the last few years and I'm now looking to move back to Ireland and set up my own shop. The loose plan was to stock up on second hand machinery over the next few months as the market here is far more diverse and affordable than Ireland, get as much of it into the van as possible and have a shipping company deal with the larger workshop machines.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone has done something similar or knows what the deal is for this. Technically I could maybe get away saying it is hobby material but not sure how the classifications work. But yeah obviously only looking to do it if it makes financial sense.

There is a lot of info about farming and forestry machinery but I've yet to find something more applicable to my situation.

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks,

A

I don't know if there is anything in the UK/Irish agreements covering this but I do know folks are taking a hammering for duty and VAT when importing personal gear into other EU countries such as Portugal and Spain. There's maybe a possible avoidance route to Ireland via NI worth exploring.

Your best option for information is to contact Irish customs. Any taxes payable are to the Irish - there are no taxes for exporting i.e. from UK

Hi, absolutely the best way to do this is to enter the "island" of Ireland via Scotland through one of the Northern Ireland ports of Larne or Belfast. As there is free trade movement between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland you will be able to bring your items into the Republic without having to pay duty.
Best of luck.....

Cheers lads, yeah looking like a little detour up to Scotland and across to Belfast is going to have to be in order to get things back. Thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Hi, absolutely the best way to do this is to enter the "island" of Ireland via Scotland through one of the Northern Ireland ports of Larne or Belfast. As there is free trade movement between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland you will be able to bring your items into the Republic without having to pay duty.
Best of luck.....
Thanks man, yeah heard this from a few other people so will give it a shot.

Don't ask me how I know! 😉 What part of Ireland are you moving to?
Haha yeah definitely worth a try anyways. Looking like it will be Galway. Bit unsure about getting work in Ireland as haven't lived there in 16 years, when I look for Cabinetmakers in Galway there doesn't seem to be a single one so not sure if that's a good sign or not...

Hi, absolutely the best way to do this is to enter the "island" of Ireland via Scotland through one of the Northern Ireland ports of Larne or Belfast.
Until/unless BJ rips up the deal he negotiated and signed into law, and then fought an election promising to get done the deal he negotiated and signed into law, isn't there a "border in the Irish Sea"?

Routing via an NI destination will almost certainly avoid any contact with customs/import duties. However, before you adopt the avoidance route, just check what the official line is with relocating from UK to RoI and all personal goods & chattels. Also worth checking the line on personal vehicles too as there may be a saving too.

If you don't want to transport it across yourself you could get it shipped to Spacehub in Derry. I use there a lot for buying from the UK. Good luck in Galway I work there myself. I don't know of any cabinet making workshops in Galway but I'm sure there are some around you just have to look hard. I do know one in Mayo

If you don't want to transport it across yourself you could get it shipped to Spacehub in Derry. I use there a lot for buying from the UK. Good luck in Galway I work there myself. I don't know of any cabinet making workshops in Galway but I'm sure there are some around you just have to look hard. I do know one in Mayo
There's a big shortage of ALL tradesmen in Ireland at the moment plus very little young blood coming through because most if not all the snowflake generation don't want to dirty their hands. It's a desperate state of affairs and no sign of the government pushing to turn things around. Galway is a great spot and a great place to live. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. 😎👍

There's a big shortage of ALL tradesmen in Ireland at the moment plus very little young blood coming through because most if not all the snowflake generation don't want to dirty their hands.
Please explain to us the details of all the apprentice training schemes which exist and would allow anybody who wants to learn a trade to do so.

And when you use the term "snowflake", what do you mean?

There is only one school of cabinetmaking in the ROI and it is based in Letterfrack Co Galway. It's well set up and training is to a high standard. Making a living in bespoke furniture would I imagine be difficult but the internet is your friend. A maker in Co Cork, Joseph Walsh has conquered the international market with large 'studio' pieces.

However, before you adopt the avoidance route, just check what the official line is with relocating from UK to RoI and all personal goods & chattels. Also worth checking the line on personal vehicles too as there may be a saving too.
Maybe use NI as a staging post?

IHNI whether the time and cost would be feasible, but there could well be different rules if he could claim to be a NI resident.

Particularly...
Basically, been working as a Cabinetmaker in the UK for the last few years and I'm now looking to move back to Ireland
if he has Irish citizenship?

Hello from Ireland. If you are moving here (Republic) then its a simple "Change of residence", Same applies to vehicles! Have a look at revenue.ie for all the details. We have the dreaded VRT for all vehicles imported into Ireland, since Brexit VAT is also added so its now almost prohibitive to import here. I drove to England in January and brough back a Kity Direct Drive universal woodworker, the journey cost more than the machine did!

Please explain to us the details of all the apprentice training schemes which exist and would allow anybody who wants to learn a trade to do so.

And when you use the term "snowflake", what do you mean?
Where have you been hiding if you're not familiar with the term "Snowflake"? We have reared a complete generation who are afraid to get their hands dirty and looked down on those with manual skills that they themselves could never aspire to achieve, All keyboards and McDonalds.

Routing via an NI destination will almost certainly avoid any contact with customs/import duties. However, before you adopt the avoidance route, just check what the official line is with relocating from UK to RoI and all personal goods & chattels. Also worth checking the line on personal vehicles too as there may be a saving too.
Yeah just in the process of getting a van here in the UK and looking like you need to have owned it for at least 6 months in order to avoid VRT on arrival as you can claim it as part of your personal affects when "relocating to the EU". But yeah just more selection of vehicles and better prices in the UK so need to try take advantage while I can.

Cheers Daniel for the heads up on Spacehub will look into it. Are you saying you can have machinery shipped there and then I would just roll up and drive it down to the republic? That would be very convenient.

There's a big shortage of ALL tradesmen in Ireland at the moment plus very little young blood coming through because most if not all the snowflake generation don't want to dirty their hands. It's a desperate state of affairs and no sign of the government pushing to turn things around. Galway is a great spot and a great place to live. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do. 😎👍
Cheers man, yeah Galway is a beautiful part of the country alright. It's likely there is more opportunity here in the UK but as they say "home is where the heart is"

Back