Importing from the US - an example

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin,
The percieved wisdom around here is that the method of shipping often determines whether duty. tax etc is paid. I went for the USPS surface mail option it took 6 weeks and the the items arrived in the normal post.

As Parcel Force were the final carriers at this end had you specified something other than USPS surface mail when you ordered?

Andy

Andy
You are quite correct.

I really did not think too much about it, after all it was just a few t shirts, not something important like a tool! It came UPS, hence all the drama.

Incidentally Hanes Beefy are the worlds BEST T shirts for the fuller figured gent!
Regards
Martin

I had a similar experience to Martin about a year ago - I needed some really good outdoor work clothes (ended up building a new workshop over winter). The clothes came from Alberta - (in two days Royal Mail please note). Was followed by a tax bill form HMCE for more than the value of the goods. Told them I wasn't paying until they could show me how they calculated the bill. Ten days later received a credit note for the full amount!

There was a website (which typically I can't find now) which basically stated that its an unwritten rule that the application of duty is completely arbitrary. If possible I now get friends or relatives to send me things from the country of origin rather than from the supplier direct, declaring them as gifts. Technically its no more illegal than arbitrary taxation (or extortion as its properly known)

Cheers

Tim

Glad you managed to get that past the pirates at HMCE, I have found that even having something declared as a gift is no defence against these thieves. :(

V.

Back