importing direct from veritas - is it worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, been lurking for a while and reckon it's time to take the plunge and say hello - especially as I could do with picking your brains!!

I was going to order a few bits from Axminster but had a look what I'd pay if I ordered direct from Veritas and it came out a fair bit cheaper, 560 US dollars as opposed to 640 quid. I haven't ever bought anything of this kind of value from abroad so my question is how much can I expect to be stung for taxes? And can I sneak around it depending on which shipping method I use? Veritas quoted me these options:

*Surface Mail 8-12 Weeks $76.86

*Xpresspost 8-10 Business Days $135.17

*UPS Express 5-6 Days to Major Centers $70.79

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Ian

They make it a lot easier these days to calculate this type of stuff...

IMPORT DUTY CALCULATOR

Most people I have met who have done this have been happy...not sure if Veritas have a worldwide guarantee though...you need to check this in case something goes wrong and you have to get it fixed. Bit of a long way to send it back to the Americas. :wink:

Given the excellent returns policy that Axminster have, ensure you weigh up the possibility of what it is you are buying needing to be replaced for whatever reason.

You may be glad you paid the extra.

Jim

No need to worry about Lee Valley's guarantee! I ordered some items from them whilst travelling in the US, and when I got home realised that one of the plane blades had some tiny spots of corrosion on it. Not even pitted, I cleaned it off, but emailed them to let them know in case it was useful information. They insisted on FedEx-ing me a replacement, and arranged for and paid for the old blade to be collected by Fed-Ex to get it back for inspection. I reckon that is pretty exemplary service!

My only other input is that the 8-12 weeks really does take that long, as I ordered a spare blade from them to be sent by surface mail to keep the cost down. It arrived about ten weeks later as promised.

Hope that helps
Graeme

Don't forget to factor in the Courier fee. Usually it's around £10? but can be more for certain types of shipping.

I've ordered lots of stuff direct from LV and never had a problem. Even paying for carriage and duty it has always worked out cheaper.

Hi Ian,

Welcome to UKW.

I have bought a number of items from LV and it is normally worthwhile.

Personally, I wouldn't place it all as one order as this will help to get them through customs without you paying duty. Never use the UPS option as you will always pay duty with them plus their "collection fee".

Are there any weighty items included? If so, you might find that cheaper to buy in the UK once you take the carriage into account.

Thanks,
Neil

I had trouble with my last order via UPS Express - well, "trouble" as in neither a duty demand nor the package turned up. But I've no doubt had I been on the ball and contacted LV, they'd have had it sorted in no time - their customer service is second to none (alas, my brain isn't always up to par these days lol.)

Just a note from Canada...I buy from Lee Valley Tools... Veritas...frequently and let me tell you that I have never before received the level of after sale customer service that they offer. The level of service that they maintain on a constant basis is well known and very deeply respected in this part of the world..by doing this they are, of course, building a very strong ang fiercly loyal customer base.
Brian

Thanks to all those who've replied, some really useful info that's helped me make up my mind. This time round I'm going to see if I can save a bit by buying second hand instead of placing a direct order. Just discovered the fo rsale/wanted forum so I'll post in there and see if anyone has the planes I'm after :)

the wycombe axminster store is well worth a visit, lots of planes to pick up and look at and their own brand planes seem nice too. west wycombe makes for a day out too.

I'd 2nd that about LV's excellent customer service!
When I've imported stuff from them I've used USPS not UPS - better chance of not being stung?

Rod

Ian
Have you tried any local trade toolshops to see if they stock Brimarc (Axminster) stuff. They often discount
Matt

Latest posts

Back