Importance of safety

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! What a timely lesson - for me. I have been a bit cavalier re safety glasses and the router, but I won't be from now on for sure. A pairs those recommended above (by Steve) now on their way to replace the 'wear over the top' of my reading glasses that I tended to 'forget'.

Last edited:
Having a beard I wear a Trend Airshield: Trend Airshield Pro Respirator 8 Hour Battery AIR/PRO | AIRPRO does the job of safety glasses and mask, the airflow down the face is very refreshing and also prevents fogging, I did get some strange looks in Lidl recently though.
I'm a big fan of the Airshield Pro; not necessarily the weight or the noise, but having been hit in the face a few times with material (mostly from turning) I'm very glad of the full face shield.

The weight may be an issue for some, i don't notice it as well as a beard I have no hair so always tend to wear a hat, I find that as soon as I start to work at whatever I are doing and noise from the shield motor disappears into the background noise of the machine I am using.

Excellent thread - reminder to all. Thanks to the OP.

I'm not bearded but am a (varifocal) glasses wearer. Personally I find this (below) great - nil fogging, fully adjustable and nice and light, with good overall facial coverage. You do feel a bit of a "breast" wearing it with the face shield fully up, but who cares. Quite reasonably priced too.
500080_xl.jpg

only thing that ever sent me to the hospital after worrying about table saws, routers, CMS, etc. was a low speed belt sander sanding metal. It was just fast enough to loft dust up onto my eyeball and get one of the round particles to stick in the surface. I couldn't believe it - it just felt like an unexpected spit of dust in the face (like you get in a breeze outside) and when I was done working, I could see a little shiny grain of it on the dark part of my eye.

No matter what i'm doing, if it's more than hand planing - I always have some kind of glasses on now (I didn't wear them back then, but now have plastic lens glasses) so that there is no straight line of travel from the workpiece to my eyeballs.

Getting the metal pushed off of the surface of my eyeball was no big deal, but it did take 3 hours in the ER and ultimately required dilation, numbing of my eyeball and sitting and watching the ER doc literally pick the bit off of the surface with a needle. And listening to people in adjacent rooms who were on bad drug trips while I waited. Since this is the USA and our hospitals spend money hand over fist, the ER had several outfitted rooms that were intended only to deal with eye emergencies - I don't think lots of it was needed, but did have the opportunity to have the docs check over my entire eyeballs to make sure that the spot I knew of was the only one - apparently, people go in with slivers of metal they're unaware of on top of what they can see.

JSP Powercap active for me. My grandfather was a woodworker all his working life and he died of respiratory problems due to wood dust. I'm predominately a handtool user but the powercap goes on if I'm using any power tool especialy the router or circular saw. It's protection for my eyes against flying dust and chips and also protection from the more hidden danger of the dust. I use standard safety glasses for the metal working on lathe and mill.

JSP Powercap active for me. My grandfather was a woodworker all his working life and he died of respiratory problems due to wood dust. I'm predominately a handtool user but the powercap goes on if I'm using any power tool especialy the router or circular saw. It's protection for my eyes against flying dust and chips and also protection from the more hidden danger of the dust. I use standard safety glasses for the metal working on lathe and mill.
Yea; I stupidly did a lot of work with MDF in my youth (mostly loudspeaker building) and used pretty much zero protection. As a result I'm quite sensitised to MDF dust (and have probably not done my lungs much good). A powered full face respirator may seem like overkill, but the cost and inconvenience is tiny compared to the value of your health.

Hi

I have used both of these and they are comfortable and unless you are really sweating in a hot loft in summer they don't mist up, well not for me.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/uvex-ultrasonic-ultrasonic-sports-style-safety-goggles/36877
https://www.screwfix.com/p/uvex-u-sonic-u-sonic-clear-lens-safety-goggles/7414p

Can you wear these over standard glasses comfortably?

I use Bolle pilots which are specifically listed as suitable and I find them comfortable. A dab of washing up soap does well against condensation although with sealed goggles there's an argument they aren't fitting correctly if they are steaming up in a normal environment.
Bolle BOLPILOPSI Pilot Safety Goggles Clear
I'm less clear on the impact standards of googles etc. If anyone has a clear idea would be great if you can share.
These are rated :
Protects against medium energy impacts (120m/s).
EN 1661BT3,4,9.

I'm not clear how that transfers to real life scenarios.

Latest posts

Back