Importance of crown guard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Everything :)
You must have a very odd crown guard then as in general they are very convenient and completely unproblematic - the exception being when you want to do a deep cut e.g. cutting tenon shoulders.
2. Absolutely agree, but when you had an 8" DIY table saw, tell me you didn't ever crosscut something freehand.
No never did. No need as long as there's a fence and/or sliding mitre or similar in situ.

It is not UK Health and Safety laws that would apply but the machinery directive and more specifically PUWER, but only in a place of employment and not a private workshop. It is also common practice not to stand where a machine could eject the workpiece whether that is a table saw, P/T or router table.
PUWER regulations come under UK Health and Safely laws, it’s not an either or situation.

You’re more than welcome to do anything you like at home but it’s good practice to follow industry. 85931776-1668-4DB9-ACE3-349203B5D756.jpeg

This looks very handy, I get the impression that these are adjustable in regards to tightness, possibly too loose?
(the video is "timestamped" so you only need click and watch for 10 seconds)
What ye think?

Last edited:
Not a very helpful post, oh horney one. "You're doing it wrong but I'm not going to help, just sit back a wait for the blood to splatter " is how I interpret your post.

Would you like to be a bit more helpful?

Cheers, Vann.
I havent been called horney one for a long time!
I think you have totally missed the irony in my comment which is basically removing a crown guard is not sensible

The problem as I see it, is that it is quite easy to go out and buy a piece of kit like a sawbench, without understanding how to use it or the importance of all of the features.
A quick google search shows posts listing lots of sensible points but then has an image of a saw with the crown guard removed.
There are numerous publications on safe use of machinery and there are also some excellent short courses, which may cost a bit but consider the potential implications of a serious accident

There are a number of safety basics with using a table saw
Housekeeping. The floor area, keeping the table clear and the infeed and outfeed area
Is the saw suitable. Does it have enough power and is it stable enough for the size of piece being cut with adequate room all round
Look at the piece of wood you plan to cut. Does it have any features that might cause concern
Blade selection. Use the right blade for the job. Using a cross cut blade will not work for ripping leading to people pushing harder, burning and loss of control
No go area around the saw blade. Use push sticks of the right length
Crown guard. Use it, but also make sure it is properly adjustable and properly adjusted and substantial. It should also cover the exposed blade
Riving knife. These are are made from a selected grade of steel to give them the right stiffness
Rip fence alignment. This should toe out very slightly otherwise there is increase change of trapping the piece between the blade and causing burning in the cut and possible kickback
Setting of the rip fence such that it doesnt trap the piece
Dont use the rip fence as a cut to length stop for cross cutting
Alignment of a sliding table. Similar to the rip fence this must not toe in otherwise it can cause burning and potential kickback
Safe workpiece holding and not trying to cut items that are too small
Stand out of line of the blade
Dust extraction on the machine
PPE. Eye protection and hearing protection

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back