Imperial measurement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G.B. should have done the sensible thing, and gone metric in currency, weight, volume, distance and temperature all on the same day.
Imperial measurement would long have been forgotten. I have no problem with imperial (at 58 I was taught both), but why buttocks about in no man's land?
Incidentally, a retired pharmacist friend pointed out that overdoses were less common in hospitals when drug measurement was imperial - there was no decimal point error.

Its still a fixation on measurement. Imagine if all measuring devices, rules and tapes had disintigrated into the ether and left you just with hand tools. You would still be able to put a roof over your head, make a door,a window, maybe a bed and a box to put all your valuables in? and call them Phills (I made this bed 6 Phills x 4 Phills) sounds better than feet or meters

adzeman":2ld2tzlh said:
Its still a fixation on measurement. Imagine if all measuring devices, rules and tapes had disintigrated into the ether and left you just with hand tools. You would still be able to put a roof over your head, make a door,a window, maybe a bed and a box to put all your valuables in? and call them Phills (I made this bed 6 Phills x 4 Phills) sounds better than feet or meters

I agree with what you are saying but the problem comes when you are flicking through the ikea book for a table to fill your dining room. The size that you need is 1 Eric x 2Erics and everything is in damn Phills... :mrgreen:

:roll:
marcros":3qd2tfmm said:
adzeman":3qd2tfmm said:

I agree with what you are saying but the problem comes when you are flicking through the ikea book for a table to fill your dining room. The size that you need is 1 Eric x 2Erics and everything is in damn Phills...
:roll: even better when you need one measuring 2 erics long x 1 phill high!

Now IKEA this is a different world to sit on the loo with an IKEA catalogue dreaming as how to convert as many variations of a Billy as one can, ah
Now I have to agree with you

He truth is I do convert IKEA furniture and I do go to the damaged section and purchase damaged parts to re-cycle. I have to admit to taking a tape and the Billy being a regular source of material But to keep on this thread have yo seen the latest vidio from woodgears where Mr Wandle demonstrates the construction of his jointer. He uses his drawings as a Rod. He flips from imperial to metric like a ballet dancer and note how many times he uses a tape, vernier calipers and his dial indicator. This man is an icon of accuracy.

I must admit that I too am an "Impetric" person myself and use whatever system to suit the job in hand, sometimes mixing and matching. I think that if they sold tape measures with one or the other then we wouldnt all be so confused all of the time. Having both on all of the measuring devices is a sure fire way to keep people in limbo.

On that note, I am off for 568.261485 millilitres of Bass

It seems that anyone who wishes to purchase template guides are restricted to the imperial sets that are produced. Recently I had been approached to see if I would be prepared to write and convert my articles, which are based mainly on the use of the guides,from metric to imperial. I asked myself would it be worth while for a 78years old to make the changes? I did and I must confess it was not the least bit easy even though I used the imperial measurements for over 20 years before making the change to metric. It is evident that the larger template guides are seldom used and therefore they remain in the box. Also the guides are mainly used with the straight cutters from the number of articles published in a number of magazines or books. Very little is shown where a 'face/edge' cutter is used.

Here is a simple project for consideration: Inserting an inlay 50mm/2" diameter into a solid piece of material

Attachments

• 10 piece template guides.jpg
    10 piece template guides.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 842
Digit":17ce25vo said:
On that note, I am off for 568.261485 millilitres of Bass

I can just imagine what the bar/man/maid/person will say to that!

Roy.

They'll be even less impressed when you complain that you've only got 568.261484 millilitres, and demand a top-up.

By the way, since we were discussing parts of the body that have inspired imperial units, I wonder what inspired the 6" rule?

Cheshirechappie":3rmjljpt said:
By the way, since we were discussing parts of the body that have inspired imperial units, I wonder what inspired the 6" rule?

I think I inspired the 10 thou feeler gauge :oops:

It is not only eggs that are sold in imperial measurements over here. Wheels and tyres (or tires) for cars and bicycles are still sold in inches, worldwide.

Andy

phil.p":18q779nl said:
G.B. should have done the sensible thing, and gone metric in currency, weight, volume, distance and temperature all on the same day.
Imperial measurement would long have been forgotten. I have no problem with imperial (at 58 I was taught both), but why pineapple about in no man's land?
Incidentally, a retired pharmacist friend pointed out that overdoses were less common in hospitals when drug measurement was imperial - there was no decimal point error.

A pint? A pint? That's nearly an armful! :mrgreen:

I'm also "bi-lingual" and a bloody good job too!

I spent a lot of time in Nigeria refurbishing Water Treatment Plants, many of which were built by the British. The problem was the fact that Nigeria is now totally metric and many of the plants were constructed in pre-decimalisation days, so when somebody faxed me back here and said he needed something that was 250mm, was it really that or was it 10"? :? :? :?

I was in the aircraft industry when it went metric, like you we sometimes had to query a dimension, some aircraft flew with both standards.

Roy.

Does anyone remember the metric bricks that were manufactured in the 1970's? they were not produced for long because they did not work. If you live or in the Newcastle area have a look at the Byker Wall those are metric bricks.
I am suprised this thread is still running.

dedee":3mfz6emj said:
It is not only eggs that are sold in imperial measurements over here. Wheels and tyres (or tires) for cars and bicycles are still sold in inches, worldwide.

Andy

My bike tyres are 700c x 28mm ?!

BugBear

Back