Imperial drill bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickDReed

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone know a good place to purchase imperial drill bits?

Specifically 1/2 inch?

Regards

Nick

If you or a friend are planning a vacation in USA you'll get imperial sizes over there.
Maybe not very practical, but you never know......

12.7mm seems to be a common enough size,,and my local bargain bucket shop seems to often get imperial sized bits,, lt sure how or why?
Steve.

Interesting question. Imperial sized drill bits are still readily available over here (New Zealand), and I'd have thought you guys use imperial measurements more than we do these days.

Cheers, Vann.

Having grown up with imperial and pounds/shillings then going through decimalisation and going metric there are now rumours that our circus at the top wants to go back to imperial with pounds and ounces to highlight we are not in the EU. Just having imperial fasteners on American and Canadian wood working tools gives me enough problems without having a bigger mixup on our own doorstep.

Last edited:
I do wish people would not try to beat the 'circus at the top' with an unwarranted stick!!😡

The 'proposal' isn't - and never was - to 'Return to Imperial measure', it is to remove the legal requirement to specify weights and measures primarily in Metric units. It is already legal to use Imperial measures as a 'secondary' piece of information. It will NOT affect the use of metric fasteners.

When Zaire was created (Re-named) from DRC, they insisted that ALL measures MUST be specified in metric terms and would not accept invoices for ' ½" BSP Dies for 3/4" Coventry Diehead ' - That was the stupidity that you are intimating is going to happen - which is simply untrue!

That was the stupidity that you are intimating is going to happen - which is simply untrue!
Nothings imposible with the current bunch of clowns at the top! They need more than a good beating because there is no reason to remove any legal requirement that would allow people to sell in any unit of measurement they fancy, we are now metric and used to what we have, seeing pounds and ounces would be a backward move.

Nothings imposible with the current bunch of clowns at the top! They need more than a good beating
The government may well merit some chastisement but it ought to be on matters of consequence. The issue of Metric / Imperial measures is not one of them and using irrelevant argument devalues and masks the real issues.

The 'proposal' isn't - and never was - to 'Return to Imperial measure',
Darn it!! I had looked out the 1000 8X1" slotted wood screws I kept in the loft. Thought I could sell them on Gumtree.
I have no idea how I will get rid of the 5000 M10 X 1" bolts!! I saved from a skip

12.7mm seems to be a common enough size

Please pay good attention to this reply. There is very little engineering need today to buy imperial drills. The standard increment for metric drills is 0.1mm, or four thou' in freedom units. Unless you are into doing serious mental gymnastics over letter and number drills, that increment is finer than the standard imperial increment of 1/64" (roughly 16 thou'), so metric drils have four times 'resolution' of imperial.

Back