Impact driver advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my TLDR post on Parkside tools, I'm thinking about getting an impact driver. The cheapest ones I've found are Mac Allister, but some reviews said their batteries have no life. Then there's Worx. I have the mains powered mini circular saw which is good, but no experience of their cordless stuff. Again, some reviews said the chuck on the drill keeps slackening off, and mentioned various other quality control problems. Not things you want in an impact driver!

Can anyone recommend a brand in the £70 or less price range, assuming there are any others? Ideally this price will include at least one battery! I'm leery of ebay.

Cheers

I have a few worx drills and one of their impact drivers, the impact driver was weak and quickly died, the drills are just ok but i find their battery life a little on the low end and their charge time to be slow.

I tend to agree with Rorton, wait for a lidl one to go on sale or even search ebay and someone who is selling them on there.

I know it's not within budget but https://cpc.farnell.com/makita/dhp4...zuOpSFKd1_XC5iNbanJDzfBbx0ulFBhUaAlcIEALw_wcB £118 gets you a drill, battery and charger, you can then buy a huge range of quality body only tools. We use Makita at work and have tools and batteries that are over ten years old, get regular use in all weathers and they just keep on going. They've been using the same fitment batteries for longer than I can recall and their budget impact driver will happily drive a 250mm timber screw into a sleeper in a couple of seconds and do it all day long.

Last edited:
bump with the makita. my brushed one has a house worth of framing under its belt, and i bought a new (brushelss) one just because they so nice to use. a nice mix of power and speed, as well as balance and weight.

Another nod for the Makita's...

I have had a 141 that has been used and abused for 6-7 years, still doesn't skip a beat.

I currently use a 171 that was too pretty to not buy from Japan and that is my go to on site. Many modes and settings on it.

I have an impulse too that I purely use for studio/quiet work to not water everyone off, again, solid as.

They're not cheap but you should only have to buy one. The 3a batteries are still a great battery and cn be had for about £20 now.

I'd have to agree with the last few posts, my 10 year old Makita imapct is still going after being used and abused most days of the week! As been already mentioned you can get a lower amp hour battery for not too much money I used to have a 1.5 amp hour battery that wasn't too bad.

the Rolls Royce --- Milwaukie......their stuff is just great....
as my hitachi stuff die's that the replacement.....and they will outlast me......hahaha....

AEG became Atlas Copco became Milwaukee.

I used AEG /Atlas Copco for nearly 20 years as they kept the batteries the same, wiped the floor with the Makita that I had.
Moved to De Walt for my Li-Ion impact driver and drills now.

Back