Image posting software

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gav

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good piece of software that you can install on your own webserver for hosting images? Similar to the publically available ones like uploadit and photobucket.

We need to be able to post thumbnails of the main image and be able to categorise them. Then search on keywords or categories.

I'm sure someone mentioned something on this forum but I've tried looking and couldn't see it.

Gav

I have used both Gallery and jalbum and I think they are both best of breed.

Jalbum produces individual html pages, Gallery is a dynamic (databased) solution that requires php and mySQL on your server. Gallery and its ilk are more flexible when it comes to updating or modifying stuff as it requires minimal edits. In practice either does very well simply to display pictures. The dynamic solutions are of more use in a community based situation where you want other people to be able to upload pictures, comment on them etc. It also offers built in searching capability. The necessary script is now available for automatic installation by a lot of web hosting companies.

Jalbum only requires php and mySQL for some of the appearance skins and their options, e.g. BluPluPlus with viewer comments. For many appearance skins and options it generates standard html files

Jalbum requires Java to build but not to view albums which means it can be used on Macs and Linux as well as Windows. The albums can be written and read from CDROM.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Have gone for gallery, we already had PHP and Mysql configured so minimal work required. The installation provided was very good and made the whole job easy.

First impressions are its very good and meets what we wanted to achieve. There seem to be lots of modules we haven't activated that might be worth exploring.

Gav

Latest posts

Back