I'm worried about what people will think after I die...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people need to stop thinking about life as this kind of abstract linear experience where everything goes according to plan.

I do wonder in the meantime what my daughter is going to do with my workshop and tools, grateful for any ideas as to how one might dispose of these!!

Sell them sooner than you think you need to unless you're using them. If you're using them to the last day, find someone who is willing to help your daughter unload them and don't get too concerned about whether she gets every penny.

i've run into two people in the last couple of months who have a whole pile of wood and tools and sudden health turns give them a short lifetime and no energy to sell either. Even in my mid 40s, i'm realizing that I shouldn't be holding on to stuff I'm not using and I've unloaded a whole bunch in the last year but twice as far again beyond that to go.

Boomers may block hospital beds today because rest homes and convalescent homes are full but it will be worse for the next generation.
Actually there are many complex reasons for bed blocking and it is seldom a lack of space in homes. I had a detailed analysis undertaken at one health authority which concluded that the reasons were often to do with who pays, the NHS or the Council. This was closely followed by poor post-discharge care planning, inadequate pharmacy support at weekends, no patient transport at weekends and believe it or not families that refuse to accept the, often elderly, relative back home.

Earn it -spend it / give it to your kids . Time and time again I’ve seen so called family members squabbling over what they think they are entitled to or what they decide is rightfully there’s. taking items back because they gave it as a gift years ago. When my good friend and neighbor passed away during the 1st wave of covid his niece asked me ( they were clearing/ pillaging his flat ) what I wanted as they were selling everything on f-b-m -p to which I replied yes - I’d like my friend back and I left them to it . So I’m happy to earn money but enjoy spending it with no regrets .

I think people need to stop thinking about life as this kind of abstract linear experience where everything goes according to plan.

This and the whole safety above all notion now is kind of a modern thing that never really existed in the first place.

it creates a huge sense of entitlement to have a good tomorrow and not appreciate it even when it comes.

Sucky.

i've run into two people in the last couple of months who have a whole pile of wood and tools and sudden health turns give them a short lifetime and no energy to sell either. Even in my mid 40s, i'm realizing that I shouldn't be holding on to stuff I'm not using and I've unloaded a whole bunch in the last year but twice as far again beyond that to go.
I know that feeling. But i may have solved thew problem inadvertently.

I've emptied the workshop into a spare room(3 bed flat, 2 rooms given over to 'hobbies') because i needed to remove the rooms wallpaper and replace it with clean lining paper painted a nice bright white
Because i'd done that its allowed me to take stock of what i have as i slowly put it back together. Its a bit like rebuilding an engine and having parts left over. I've obviously got way more than i need and while it was altogether in the original shop configuration, it clearly is too much now.
So when i put back the basic power tools, the machinery and handtools, i can either donate or bin whatever is left, working on the premise that i've had these other bits for so long and never used them, that i in fact dont need them at all, and its just become a bad habit collecting stuff that i thought at the time was useful, but it wasnt really, so best be shot of it.

Of course what will happen in reality is I'll suddenly find a need for something i've gotten rid of :LOL:

The way things are you have to start thinking about later life a lot earlier these days and it is not just financial. If I was young the first thing I would look at is not buying a house or paying into a pension but asking myself the question " am I living in the best country that will give me a good career and lifestyle " and for me that would be a definate no in todays britain, I could do better elsewhere. If you do decide the UK is the right place then decisions are more difficult because some of the data is unknown, but you can say that you will probably not see a state pension until 75 but will have more than likely paid more NI contributions than you will ever see returned as pension, but a big thanks because you will be supporting us baby boomers. So do you really want to work to 75, if not then you need to start a private pension and throw a lot of money into it before thinking of a mortgage because getting a pot of pension money early gives it plenty of time to grow. Property is a massive expense and again don't just think of buying where you have always lived, accept that living too far south or near london is going to cost a lot more, yes you may earn more but the figure that is most important is not how much you earn but what you have left after paying everything. As to a job that is not going to be easy, but if you want a deposit for a pile of bricks then you may have to take a shiette job and work long hours but for plenty of cash, some delivery drivers up here earn a huge amount working long hours and seven days a week but may only do it for two or three years to get that deposit, doing a regular 9 to 5 it would take much more time.

Yes it is a minefield and with a lot of decisions to make, much harder for the youngsters of today because we no longer have all the large companies and places of employment with good opportunities and evidenced by the number of youngsters having to work in hospitality.
You make fair points, but there is always a BUT. Paid more in N. I. Contributions than you will ever see as pension? Yes, but your N. I, contributions cover “health insurance“ as well. My firm had BUPA cover at one time. The payments for that made your eyes water. You also need somewhere to live; ultimately your choice is do you pay your own mortgage, or pay someone else’s?

I consider myself the richest man in the world, At 88 years old I am as fit as a fiddle good eye site can still run, mind I have trained since I was 13 in one way or another and having a slow heart beat helps I never get out of breath. Have lived live to the full 7 years in the marines helped, climbed mountains all over the world built a boat and sailed all over alone. Canoed from Whitehorse to Dawson city for my 60th birthday, then walked over the brooks mountains alone for five weeks, I could go on, All true when I go to Valhalla they can do what they want with me. Please don’t think I am bragging

I consider myself the richest man in the world, At 88 years old I am as fit as a fiddle good eye site can still run,
That is very true, money cannot buy everything and having good health is something you cannot just buy, given a choice good health has to be better than being super rich and is why your spending in retirement years should be non linear, spend more whilst you can enjoy because health is not guaranteed.

I consider myself the richest man in the world, At 88 years old I am as fit as a fiddle good eye site can still run, mind I have trained since I was 13 in one way or another and having a slow heart beat helps I never get out of breath. Have lived live to the full 7 years in the marines helped, climbed mountains all over the world built a boat and sailed all over alone. Canoed from Whitehorse to Dawson city for my 60th birthday, then walked over the brooks mountains alone for five weeks, I could go on, All true when I go to Valhalla they can do what they want with me. Please don’t think I am bragging
Sounds like you ought to be my older brother:D
I'm 77, slow heart rate, don't run but cycle everywhere, don't climb mountains but 'go bush' for extended periods, did a lot of single-handed ocean sailing in the 60's - 70's, kayaked a lot of the NZ coastline, lakes etc.
The only thing I disagree on, you're not the richest man in the world - I am.

We're all here to procreate and pass on our genes. That's all.

So put the tools down, stop climbing mountains and get on with the job you're meant to be doing.

Yes it’s very strange, I think that once you’re gone you’re gone, and convinced there is nothing of an afterlife either.
It all comes down to whether nature has a purpose or an objective, or is it just a pointless merry go round of continous birth offset by death.

The question to ask is why is there a form of inteligent life on our planet and nothing on other planets within light years away, it does seem odd why we are just an isolated group of living beings in this part of the universe. Given we do not know just how big the universe is then you have to accept that there has to be other life out there and maybe other isolated groups but again why, surely everything has a purpose and we cannot just be an accident. Then given the complexity of a human life form are we really saying that just given enough time evolution can produce us from maybe a single celled amoeba! There are really to many coincidences and there has to be something else involved that can glue all the pieces together and make sense and reason to life itself, maybe we began somewhere many light years away on some other planet but got exiled to this corner of the universe like a prison colony of the unwanted, maybe we were the rejects or some experiment that is still being watched to see how things evolve.

Latest posts

Back