I'm only gonna do this once...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
with maybe an occasional update...

the ummm.. "first part" was mainly new lay-out tools, striking tools, measuring tools along with some new L-N's...

To date, other than unpacking and de-packaging them I haven't had much chance to put them through their paces..

The Incra rules look like they'll increase my marking accuracy by a magnitude, my only concern is that they appear to be fairly flimsy things.. time will tell I guess. New squares, vernier gauges, and a micrometer should save the need to squint at their worn out predecessors...

Striking tools include a few japanese hammers and 2 cherries carvers mallets..

The L-N's were a #5.5, a #60.5 to compliment the #9.5 I bought a couple of months ago. dovetail saw and the carcass saw... they both look real sweet...

The second part arrived this morning in the guise of 4 Ariou rasps; I've been thinking about them for years... Alf's review managed to push me over the edge and place an order... If they work half as well as they look.......

third part to follow...

Congrats!

Are those the incra rules that have the thin, wide rule with the holes for placing the pencil tip? If so, I have failed to ruin mine in a few years use...but I am always conscious about it.

Congrats again!

Wow,
And I thought you were collecting parts from each place to use as one tool! Would you mind showing or telling us which rasps you picked? I've been eyeing them for the little last while (no thanks to Alf) but I always end up in a blind stupor staring at all the different models...it's not as if you can try out each one and throw the ones you don't use in the bottom drawer.
You'll love those two LN saws. I'm just about to start learning how to sharpen....
Can't wait to see what's next.

Mike... yupp... that's the ones; more holes than a string vest without loosin your street cred either ;) I've bought the rule, protractor and T-square..

Frank... I've bought a round, 2 half rounds and a cabinet makers rasp (slightly beefier half round); the 3 half rounds give me a course, medium and fine cut between them...

Four?

FOUR?!

Four... :cry:

Ach, go away you ghastly man. I shall go and take it out on pressure washing the parrot cages. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

P.S. So what's wrong with the Victor saws that were so good then...? :p

Lovely haul Mike :D Did you get a 12" engineers square in there? I find it indispensible

Only had my Incra rule for a couple of months but I'm starting to believe that it will last a long,l ong while :wink:

The LN dovetail saw? Weeellllllll......, my dovetails went from scrap bin to houndstooth almost overnight when I got hold of one!!

Have fun and post details of #3 soon :D

P.S. So what's wrong with the Victor saws that were so good then...?

in short, not a thing...

I still haven't tried to cut a dovetail in anger.. I figured I got one chance at buying the Independence saws so I took it... simply covering the options...

Lovely haul Mike Did you get a 12" engineers square in there? I find it indispensible

squares... well lets see if I got that covered already... note these weren't all bought at the one time...

I've a huge roofing square, 18" layout square, 2 off 3 piece combination sets, dovetail squares, the 12" incra square, a 6" engineers square, 6" adjustable and a bevel edged 3" engineers square...

enough...???

Midnight":vkfbcc0j said:
P.S. So what's wrong with the Victor saws that were so good then...?

in short, not a thing...

I still haven't tried to cut a dovetail in anger.. I figured I got one chance at buying the Independence saws so I took it... simply covering the options...
Covering the options... Mike, it's a collection. Be honest. Everyone says acknowledging the problem is the first step to recovery. It's a collection, isn't it, Mike? Mike? Repeat after me; col-eck-shun. :roll:

Not entirely kidding, Alf :shock:

It's a collection, isn't it, Mike? Mike? Repeat after me; col-eck-shun.

it's been my experience that collections are things that get shur away in drawers and cupboards, forgotten for years only to be dusted off now and then c/w some ooo's and ahhh's...

these have been bought to earn their keep...

there's a difference... subtle... but it's there none the less...

Mike

i have the same set apart from a 12" engineers rather than the Incra. If you use them it ain't a collection

unlike cupborads full of planes :whistle: O:)

no attempt to go gloat to gloat with Philly this time... short list...

L-N #6
L-N # 66
L-N Boggs spoke shave (flat)
a 2nd York pitch frog

and a rather tasty forstner bit from Clico..

Aw-come one Mike! That is a nice haul!!! :whistle:
A 66, eh? Had my hands on an early one of these recently-had a typed letter of instructions and signed by TLN. Unfortunateley the owner wouldn't part with it............ :roll:
So were the L-N direct or Axminster?
And how many L-N bench planes you got now?? #8 yet?
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

these were from Axminster... I ummmm... did a trial fit with em on the board that's destined to be their new home... not too many vacant spaces there now... didn't get round to counting them for some strange reason...

lets see... bench planes would be...
#7, #6, #5 1/2, #4 1/2

block planes would be...
#140, #62, #60 1/2, #9 1/2, #9

others would include...
#112, #'s 98 & 99, #73, #66, #40 1/2, 3 off Boggs spokeshaves

I think that's about it.. from memory at least... there's a bunch of others but they're not L-N's... I doubt I'll be able to identify half of my woodies; some of the previous owners were a wee bit over-enthusiastic with their name stamps...

I doubt I'll be getting the #8... the #7 does sterling work with the long stuff, and shoving it over a board for an hour or three is more than plenty work-out for me...

Mike
Great set of tools there! (Notice I didn't use the "C" word :wink: )
Need to get you a digi-camera for your Birthday, now.
Cheers
Philly :D

Some of us have some catching up to do...
Good for you Mike. I second Philly's suggestion for a digital camera. You do know that now that you have all these nifty tools we expect to see some masterpieces roll out of your shop...
Frank

Midnight":hu4h1ln1 said:
lets see... bench planes would be...
#7, #6, #5 1/2, #4 1/2

block planes would be...

others would include...
#112, #'s 98 & 99, #73, #66, #40 1/2, 3 off Boggs spokeshaves

I think that's about it.. from memory at least... there's a bunch of others but they're not L-N's... I doubt I'll be able to identify half of my woodies; some of the previous owners were a wee bit over-enthusiastic with their name stamps...
Yep, I can see how you're not going gloato a gloato with Philly in any way, shape or form there, Mike... :roll: :lol:

#66, eh? Ooops, I'd forgotten I had one of those... :oops: A Stanley mind, not a shiny L-N, but still, I hear the C-word hovering in the air... Now I'm interested that you felt it worth having a 5 1/2, 6 & 7 - any mitigating circumstances before we declare you "C*ll*ct*r"?. :p :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2nnzq2tl said:
Midnight":2nnzq2tl said:
block planes would be...
Now I'm interested that you felt it worth having a 5 1/2, 6 & 7 - any mitigating circumstances before we declare you "C*ll*ct*r"?. :p :D

Cheers, Alf

Well Alf, I think you're on to something . . . . I think that only a "C*ll*ct*r" would call a #62 a block plane ;)

Good for you Mike. I second Philly's suggestion for a digital camera. You do know that now that you have all these nifty tools we expect to see some masterpieces roll out of your shop...

Philly.. Frank... while I'll admit that somewhere down the list I've penciled in a camera, I honestly doubt it'll be a digital; call me a luddite but I prefer an old fassioned manual SLR... I've been known to scan a still or two in my time though so who knows... As for illustrated gloats... not my style; I take up whough bandwidth with my verbage as it is..

Now I'm interested that you felt it worth having a 5 1/2, 6 & 7 - any mitigating circumstances before we declare you "C*ll*ct*r"?.

previous to adding the #5 1/2 and #6, my main planes were the #4 1/2, #62 and the #7, each of them fine planes in their own right, but I'd a capability hole there that my Stanley #5 just wasn't coping with. The #5 1/2 was bought to both act as uber jack and uber smoother, panel plane if you like (based on deep seeded thoughts placed by Wiley Horn). He'd said that a well tuned panel plane is capable of taking a sub 2 thou full width shaving... against the grain... damned if he isn't right..!!

The #6 (now that it's working correctly) is just to give more options. It's serving well in a situation where the #7 is simply too much tool. I've dropped a York pitch frog into it and its making embarrisingly light work of full length, full width tear-out free shavings, again, against the grain. Curious thing I've noticed was that there's little descernable difference between effort required between the 45 and 50 deg frogs...

I think that only a "C*ll*ct*r" would call a #62 a block plane

If you care to look up the #62 on L-N's web site, you'll find it listed under block planes... who am I to argue...???

Back