I'm officially a hippy!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Been talking about doing this for a while, put my name down a couple of months ago expecting to be waiting for quite a while. They called me Thursday to say a plot had came up. Went down to the allotments today and was shown my plot.....

100_0357.JPG

:D

It's a bit daunting. This was the best of 2 availilbe plots. It was used to keep bees in the previous years but the bees stung everyone and was booted off! It's a shame because it was in the back of my mind to keep bees one day. A small area of the plot is covered with carpet but the rest is a weed jungle. I think in the first year i'm going to cultivate half of it and see how I get on.

Between now and Feb I will spend time digging the ground over and building the raised beds. Also need to put up a shed and compost bin. I knew that paslode would come in handy again!

Wish me luck! :cool:

WiZeR":aw6xst3t said:
Also need to put up a shed

Who says you can't build a dirty great workshop? You can always grow geraniums in a window box!

Seriously, that looks like a lot of hard work but I am sure the veggies will taste great. LOL! :)

now there's a thought. :lol: :wink:

It's more hard work than I can handle right now... but fingers crossed i'll be allright for the new year! [-o<

WiZeR":1cvvj7po said:
It was used to keep bees in the previous years but the bees stung everyone and was booted off! It's a shame because it was in the back of my mind to keep bees one day. Wish me luck! :cool:

I keep bees on my allotment, although they are shielded by tall netting, to cause them to fly up about 6-8 feet before setting off foraging. In the situation you describe without netting most stings are caused when they fly in almost horizontal heavily laden with nectar/pollen. As they approach the hive, they get confused as someone is standing (not unreasonably) in their way - end result = stings. Adding netting solves all these problems as they approach from high in the sky (20-30 foot up) and then drop down into the hive.

Its simple enough to knock up some netting etc. I had no problems with complaints and my hives - most allotment holders value the pollination service they get. You also get an ideal outlet for honey sales/trades.

The other benefit of netting is A) it hides them from prying eyes - you tend to get blamed for every wasp/mosquito bite going if people know they are there and B) less risk of stupid kids pushing them over as they look just like the cages for keeping the birds of the fruit.

Adam

When I had an allotment, I was told, "If it won't grow weeds, it won't grow nothing". All the disused allotments on the site were totally overgrown :lol: . At least you know your soil's fertile.

If I was you, I wouldn't try to lift the carpet; it'll make a fabulous mulch. You might want to try growing some squashes and, when they're ready to plant out, just cut holes in the carpet for the seedlings.

I loved my allotment - the other holders were so friendly and there was such a sense of community. I hope it'll give you as much pleasure and satisfaction as mine gave me.

Gill

Thanks Adam. Seems like the solution Im looking for. I'll have to ask if my predecessors used that method. I think that bee keeping would be something to consider for year 2. I would imagine it takes a lot of research and not something to rush into. Fascinates me though.

Gill":7xctaz1g said:
When I had an allotment, I was told, "If it won't grow weeds, it won't grow nothing".

Funny enough the guy who was showing me round today said the exact same thing. Obvious when you think about it!

Being a total 'foodie', I can't wait to get started. Should give me something to do while I wait for the work shop to be built/come availible.

I am always surprised just how large allotment plots are. Are you restricted in any way on what you can grow? I know a friends allotment had some kind of restriction in the amount of soft fruit he could grow.

I have been using carpet for weed suppression from some years. So long as it is good quality wool based carpet it rots away in about 5-6 years. I cover my veggie plot with carpet every year from about October through to about March when the first spuds go in.

There are fewer better pleasures then harvesting, cooking and eating all within the space of a few minutes.

Andy

Back