I'm off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be the same old cr*p. Seen one woodwork show - you seen em all!

Jacob":3pdhtur3 said:

That's my experience too, but I am still hopeful that someone, somewhere, will put on a show with some beautiful one-off furniture. I hope that's what Peter's photos show when he returns.

MikeG.":2z3rgh5j said:
Jacob":2z3rgh5j said:

That's my experience too, but I am still hopeful that someone, somewhere, will put on a show with some beautiful one-off furniture. I hope that's what Peter's photos show when he returns.

Mike have you been to Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design, it finishes on BH Monday.

http://www.celebrationofcraftsmanship.com/

Peter Sefton":1s4mqt45 said:
........Mike have you been to Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design, it finishes on BH Monday.

http://www.celebrationofcraftsmanship.com/

I haven't, unfortunately. It's too far for me, but I've heard glowing reports. My view is that all woodworking shows should have some good furniture displays, and if they don't, I'm not going.

Peter Sefton":1ush64fg said:
To Atlanta for the International Woodworking Fair.

I am looking at new techniques and tools and to see what furniture they are making.

So what have the Americans got we haven't apart from Trump and very expensive health care which they can keep.

http://www.iwfatlanta.com/

Cheers Peter

If we can afford the healthcare (some of us can), we quite like it. You should try it!! (well, don't try it without insurance or it'll be the last thing you buy, as you'll be out of money....but we don't have to wait for much here because capacity and speed draws patients).

I went to IWF in 2008, as a partially hand tool woodworker. I didn't find much american stuff there!!!!

You'll find nice sliders, large wide belt sanders, perhaps some abrasives and spray equipment sales, and TONS of gigantic purpose made machines intended to take really cheap materials and manipulate them into something usable. Have fun in atlanta - let us know how you like the heat!!

D_W":2or3e9gn said:
If we can afford the healthcare (some of us can), we quite like it. You should try it!! (well, don't try it without insurance or it'll be the last thing you buy, as you'll be out of money....but we don't have to wait for much here because capacity and speed draws patients).
Surely more a case of capacity available because cost deters patients?
We don't have to wait much here either (though it varies according to urgency). Some years ago I had a quadriceps tendon break and was rescued by ambulance (outdoors in the snow), operated on, out, in 48 hours + plus extensive after care. No insurance, zero cost. Speed essential for good outcome. OTOH have waited 3 months for non urgent things.

Nick Laguna UK":2mxwpro2 said:
Peter Sefton":2mxwpro2 said:
One word SawStop

Hi Peter - you probably already know - SawStop visited the UK 2 weeks ago and attended various meetings.
Cheers,
Nick

I guessed they were seeing you next, hope all is well looking forward to seeing Laguna up and close both here in Atlanta and back at home. Pop in for a cuppa if your passing.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":3g8nytei said:
Jacob":3g8nytei said:

One word SawStop
Three words: two push sticks. No money in it though.

Jacob":1dn2urtb said:
Peter Sefton":1dn2urtb said:
Jacob":1dn2urtb said:

One word SawStop
Three words: two push sticks. No money in it though.

I agree Jacob!

Push sticks, best thing ever invented, if only woodworkers would use them along with guards they wouldn't keep loosing their fingers.

Cheers

Peter

The only thing that would tempt me into buying a tablesaw would be a UK version of the Sawstop site saw that wasn't too much more than £1k.

Yes, push sticks and good practice trump all, but there is just always the possibility that things go bad.

They are good tools as well, which doesn't hurt.

Would be good to see their stuff for sale in the UK. There are 250v versions in Australia...

Bodgers":3qfpk3n3 said:
The only thing that would tempt me into buying a tablesaw would be a UK version of the Sawstop site saw that wasn't too much more than £1k.

Yes, push sticks and good practice trump all, but there is just always the possibility that things go bad.

They are good tools as well, which doesn't hurt.

Would be good to see their stuff for sale in the UK. There are 250v versions in Australia...

Looked at one up and close yesterday, they do look good quality and it's only a matter of time until they make it over here.

Cheers

Peter

Jacob":cm6959au said:
D_W":cm6959au said:
Surely more a case of capacity available because cost deters patients?
We don't have to wait much here either (though it varies according to urgency). Some years ago I had a quadriceps tendon break and was rescued by ambulance (outdoors in the snow), operated on, out, in 48 hours + plus extensive after care. No insurance, zero cost. Speed essential for good outcome. OTOH have waited 3 months for non urgent things.

Capacity due to economic incentive. There is probably double the money spent here per individual.

Profit incentive, I guess. You don't need to have an emergency to get quick service here. I'd take some less service if the costs were brought down some. I'm insured with no deductible, so it wouldn't make a difference to my wallet. But it's a matter of principle. In general, I think people utilize medical care too much here, but the speed is otherwise nice.

If you're uninsured, though, you might end up ON Medicaid, which requires you to basically live in poverty if you want to be on it.

Some ultra rural care isn't as good, but that's a matter of density.

Latest posts

Back