Im obviously a dust extraction newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicallen

Reaction score
I must be missing some thing obvious about dust extraction terminology:

My new Cam vac has a 4" suction inlet...
My new Central Technology System hose and quick click system has a 58mm connection...
My new Charnwood reducer is from 4" to 58mm...

Looks perfect I thought.....

Yet none of them fit together as I incorrectly assumed 4" would be a nominal diameter so you could link 4" to 4". Same with the 58mm side of the reducer it's exactly the same as the 58mm inlet to the CTS hose and therefore does not fit either!!

So my question to you all is whether it is an accepted truth that you need to heavily rely on duct tape / grinder solutions or whether there is any way to match up such things without needing to examine the full engineering drawings of these things which are rarely available before purchasing??? I cannot assume a 4" outlet will fit a 4" inlet it would seem!!!

I thought wood working was meant to be relaxing....obviously not!!!

20210413_164103.jpg

Get some 110 plastic soil pipe, some 50mm, 40mm and 32mm waste pipe. Heat it up with a hot air gun until it becomes pliable. You can squeeze it into undersize holes or enlarge it to oversize holes. Careful thou it get HOT. This might help.

There are ready made adaptors but yes duct tape and bits of plastic are a good way to go!
I found that a certain large size tin food can fitted neatly into the ends of a 4" flexi pipe as a connector.
Tins of "Mamade" - orange pulp for marmalade making - empty the tin first and cut the ends off. Other stuff comes in the same size tin. Take a bit of flexi pipe with you to the supermarket and check out the tins for size.

One of the big irks of woodworking is that no 2 tools have the same size outlets. It comes down to whatever works when trying to mash 2 ends together. A lot of people are now 3D printing fittings so thats about the most tidy way if you have access to a printer. Otherwise like most of us do is find bits and pieces to cobble together. Duct tape is quite often the only way.
Regards
John

I use hostage tape to enlarge the outlets, so the adapter stays on snugly. (A few turns around the outside of the male end helps hugely). I also use it to cobble together temporary vacuum cleaner pipes when required, because nothing fits anything else. My sander has an eliptical outlet - how does that help? (I may have lost an adapter somewhere...)

Latest posts

Back