I'm just plane confused

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a nice plane or two but I'm STILL in a muddle over which to get.

I've got by with a modern Stanley 5 which, following the advice on the forum that if you really have to live with one, i've tinkered and fettled it to get the best possible out of it (you at the back - stop laughing!).

I like a bit of heft for planing so for example I've preferred borrowing my brothers Record/Stanley 4 1/2 (I can't recall which), rather than my old chaps No. 4.

Do you think that an LV low angle jack (= 5 1/2?) with a second high angle blade would be a good all round choice. I'm stirred on by Alf's review here re. shooting etc. Or should I go for more than one plane e.g. get a 4 or a 4 1/2 as well.

Round and round I go! :?

Ike

ike":3jqvm7jd said:
Do you think that an LV low angle jack (= 5 1/2?) with a second high angle blade would be a good all round choice. I'm stirred on by Alf's review here re. shooting etc.
'pologies

ike":3jqvm7jd said:
Or should I go for more than one plane e.g. get a 4 or a 4 1/2 as well.
Yes

But then maybe you expected me to say that...? :oops:

The truth is evidence suggests you will end up getting more than one plane eventually, so why fight it? But buying one tool at a time and learning all its quirks and foibles, and thus also helping your choice of what plane you want, er, need next, is possibly a more sensible way to go. The bevel up planes like the low angle jacks and smoothers are a pretty darn good place to start, flexibility-wise, and you won't be chucking it to the back of the cupboard if, er, when you get further planes. The bottom line? You're looking at some good quality tools, and any of them will give you lots of planing satisfaction. If worse comes to worse try a blindfold and a pin... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf,

I'm going to start with the LA jack - seems good value too, at £114 compared to a LN

cheers

Ike

Ike

As a user of the LN LA smoother, I'm sure you won't regret the LV LA.

Enjoy it

Actually 134.69 inc. the dreaded VAT + 22.21 for the HA blade.

The general consensus seems to be that LN's are the dog's danglies, but I must stick to my budget.

Must be strong....must be strong... no!...arghhh!...stop it you lot! :roll:

As an aside, who rates the Veritas "Sharpening System". I'm tempted by it. I want to get a finishing waterstone wide enough for the LV LA jack blade. Axminster do a 6000 grit which is describes as "adequate for general use". There's a big jump in price for the 8000 grit stone although it is much wider. Is a 6000 grit fine enough?

I've decided to go for the LA jack and the LA smoother, each with an additional high angle blade. :D

cheers,

Ike

Ike...

if you want to get started with hand sharpening using water stones.. I can thoroughly recommend a few products out there.
Firstly, the Veritas honing guides about as good as it gets; the angle gauge takes all the guess work out of setting up the guide, the guide itself is more than up to the task. To date, the only blades I've been unable to hold with it are those for my spoke shaves and my #112.
Secondly, the Veritas stone pond. I reckon it's good enough to sell itself; check it out..
Thirdly... a good beginners set would be the 800 and 6000 grit Ice Bear stones sold by Axminster. The pair come with a good naguna stone; good price, good combination and first rate results.

One point I can't stress highly enough with water stones, or any other stone for that matter... you MUST keep them flat.. Water stones wear quite rapidly so they need regular lapping; an easy enough task, if a little messy...

For the record.... I put my money where my mouth is... the above is the set I started out with...

As soon as I find a reliable source to point people to for 50p oilstones, I'll start recommending what I use... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Avast Ye, yer scurvy dawg, ( sorry Alf, just getting into the swing)

I shiver me timbers with a right trusty oilstone :oops:

so :p to all ye waterstone scoundel's.Yarr

Aye,aye Cap'n TX

I'll let the tyres down and take the saddle off :D

TX

and buses also :x

not that they have saddles of course :shock:

Back