I'm just dumb.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
Have tried many times to post some photo's but it all ends in tears....
is there just a simple way......
plus would like to add a photo to my avatar.......
have tried to follow the forum page.....
I have nobody to ask for help......
I dont know the meanings of the tech word and most of the buttons on the key board I've prob never used.....
I'm running an as new 27" Imac on the Catalina prog.....

on dificult stuff similar to this I go to uTube and follow as per pictures.......
Sorry, yes I am that dumb.....

but,
give me a disassembled gear box in a blacked out room, NO problemo.....hahaha
thanks Frank

I cant help with imac, I use windows, but the secret is to reduce the picture size because this site has severe memory limits.

I use windows picture manager to resize, but the important bit is to resize to a MAXIMUM of 1024 x 768 pixels. If its a busy picture, go lower.

Once saved onto your computer at that size, all you have to do is click "add file"
then click the picture. Then back on this site click "upload file", then (and this is the important bit) place your cursor where you want the picture to start and click "place inline"

Hi Frank. I have an older iMac and I found for me that resizing a picture is easiest if I put it on my desktop and then click on it. It will open in Preview. You click on Tools and then Adjust Size, then Custom and pick one of the sizes the same or smaller than the Maximum, Bob mentioned. Then Save and you can close Preview. Now you have a picture that you can use. There are no doubt other ways to do it.

When posting in a thread or making one of you own, there is an Upload attachment a little below the dialog box. Follow the prompts and get the picture from your desktop.

Play with it some and it will come together easily. :wink:

Pete

Pete is right. Catalina is the latest operating system and there are several ways to do this. Preview is as good as any for basic things:

In the Preview app on your Mac, open the file you want to change.
Choose Tools > Adjust Size, then select “Resample image”.
Enter a smaller value in the Resolution field. The new size is shown at the bottom.

Or, use Photos. This is a standard Mac photo storage and editing system. All iCloud synced photos are stored here. Open Photos and choose the photo you want. You can then zoom crop, edit, sharpen etc as you wish and save it at the size and format you require.

I'm not techy and struggled with posting photos for ages but then found a way that worked, for me anyway.

I take the photos on my phone and they automatically get saved to Google photos on my phone and PC.

On Google photos on PC I right click over the image I want and it gives me the option to save it as a JPEG.

When I select upload attachment in the post I am writing it automatically gives me the choice of the recent photos I have saved as JPEGs.

This probably makes no sense and might not be the correct way but like I say works for me and doesn't seem to involve any re sizing of images.

Good luck, don't give up.

Doug, he is using OSX Catalina. Hence if he is also using an iPhone (for Mac sync) it is MUCH easier to just allow the default save to Photos / iCloud stream. It is tedious to have to stick photos on the desktop once re-sized (as that is the easiest way to select the correct photo) as there is no drag and drop facility from Photos and it is more clicks to fetch from there.

If he was using a PC, then your route is dead on.

I must admit, I find the need to resize photos or save to a third party app, tedious on this forum. It has been a factor in me abandoning threads I have started. I am a member of a bike club and our forum there does auto resizing with drag and drop image loading on the forum. Makes no odds whether PC or Mac.

Adrian

Dropbox is a dead easy way to upload photos to here. No resizing necessary, and it just appears as a folder on your computer.

Now, having said that, I appreciate that it sounds easy but at the same time I spend a lot of time trying to explain computing matters to my octogenarian mother and realise that it isn't easy unless you understand it to begin with.

Another way of resizing a batch of photos on a Mac is to select them in photos (you can select more than one by holding down the command key as you click on them) and to then select “export” from the menus (file menu I think). You will need to choose where to save them (eg desktop, or you have an option to create a new folder on the desktop which can help if there are lots of photos). Importantly it also gives an option for file size. I think I use medium which works for the site’s size restrictions.

I think before we can offer meaningful help, we need to know where the photos are on the iMac; are they in the Photos app, or are they just in a folder somewhere? If they're in the Photos app they'll need to be exported, and as mentioned further up the thread the size can be reduced during export, though those options are accessed through a drop-down menu that is hidden by default. Happy to guide through the process, but don't want to muddy the water if the photos are already in a folder somewhere.

The 'picture posting guide' at the top of each forum has a video - https://youtu.be/pNYB85uf8vI - explaining the process on OSX.

HTH.

Back