I'm emigrating to New Zealand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) If you wish to speak like the locals, just F and blind a lot more - just about the only word we use that they don't is "tw@"
Seriously, you need to go the kauri museum at Matakohe which is on the main road NW of Auckland There is another kauri place at Kaitaia, which is right up in the north, that is well worth a visit although it's more modern and commercial. See some unbelievable stuff! Best of luck, Phil.

Very best wishes Pete I'm sure you'll find your new life exciting and fullfiling. I went to Australia in my twenties and still tell people it was the best time of my life and if anything New Zealand is even better. You'll have no problems getting a job and don't forget that the world wide web covers New Zealand, well most of it anyway, so we'd like to hear from you when you can drag yourself away from the wild outdoors :)

i wonder if Pete will be changing his forum name to aucklandpete?

good luck! a beautiful country awaits you.

adidat

Good luck Pete,

We are arriving in NZ on 16th November for 3 weeks holiday so maybe you could put the kettle on for a brew?

Bob

Good luck with the move. Glad to hear that someone is actually using their visa. Mine to go live in Australia is rapidly running out. On reflection, I wish i had now applied for an NZ visa rather than the Aussie one.

@cambournepete,

Best of luck mate - job, house, the family, everything.

If your experience of emigrating is anything like mine, you won't regret it (and in my case, the locals don't even speak much English - not if you want to properly integrate that is).

But come to think of it, I'm not so sure about the Kiwis either - their brand of English does take some getting used to, but it's mainly their sense of humour (the first time I went to NZ, a LONG time ago, my colleague and I went to the Gents after a few in a hotel bar and the rather large gent - a Kiwi of course - having heard our complete lack of accent (!) took great pleasure in advising my friend and I that it was right in the middle of "Punch a Pom week". Whereupon my friend advised him that in civilsed circles the standup should be used for piddling into and the washbasin should be used for washing his hands in and NOT vice-versa! I thought we were in for some rough stuff but the bloke just grinned, said "good on yer sport" and took us back to the bar to buy us all another drink).

Lovely place, all the best.

AES

Good luck Pete, I've never been to NZ but would love to go. Nearly surprised the wife with a trip there a couple of years ago but she fell pregnant with our first so it wasn't going to happen. If you are into rock then NZ has the best rock station in the world (probably), I can't believe some of the things they get away with. Makes me suspect the people over there are a bit more laid back and willing to enjoy life.

Back