I'm concerned about the economy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit of a generalisation, chiba? Not quite sure what you mean. Many people are selfish and self-centred, many others are generous and committed to others, but most are in some ways probably a bit of both. And many peoples live happily, although struggling to survive, in mud hut villages with no knowledge or perception of materialism, money or the outside world (I know, I've met some of them).

Still, I enjoy having a read, so I'll give it a go. Doesn't seem that it is widely known about? - an Oz book with only two reviews, both from Oz.

Cheers,

Trev.

Message to Johnelliot and others.

Regret to say very little an individual himself can do on those problems.
If dedicated to solving the problems becoming an MP & PM eventually could go someway to creating Utopia??

trevtheturner":1nav2boz said:
I read nothing political in John's original post,
Trev.

Trev

When did the economy stop being controlled by the government and particularly the chancellor of the exchequer (and bank of England) then?

And I guess unemployment is nothing to do with politics too eh? :p

Of course this is a political issue. To claim otherwise is at best nieve

Tony":w8h8itl7 said:
trevtheturner":w8h8itl7 said:
Trev.

Trev

When did the economy stop being controlled by the government and particularly the chancellor of the exchequer (and bank of England) then?

Well, I don't think that the WORLD economy (which is what is affecting us all here, or will do sooner or later) has ever been controlled by the government or the Bank of England.
This is therefore NOT a political discussion

Calling other people naive is best left to people who know how to spell it

To quote from another forum user here-
"I do not see why I should not ask about peoples views on such an important topic. I respect our members views, some of which I regard as friends, and was eager to hear their thoughts "

John

John

There is no need to get personal and insulting (again) over my typing OR spelling.

World economics is linked to world politics. To think otherwise is naive

You are attempting to call black as white by denying the link between politics (world or domestic) and economics (world or domestic). Who do you think controls economies eh?

My statement was that I do not wish to discuss political subjects. I too respect other people's views. My point was that I have no wish to engage in political debate on a woodworking forum.

John wrote:

and then he wrote:

...I respect our members views, some of which I regard as friends, and was eager to hear their thoughts "

So, you regard some of our members views as friends do you, or did you mean them as friends?. Talk about the pot calling the kettle...

So John, if you want to be insulting to others on the forum, try to make sure your grammar is correct first. :wink:

Deary me.
Does it really have to come to comments about spelling and grammar?
English isn't necessarily a forum user's first language!
Even for those of us for whom it is, "correct" spelling and grammar doesn't exactly take into account the accepted changes that develop through mediums such as online fora, text messaging and general colloquialisms.

Isn't it naïve to think that members' views can't be adequately expressed without this kind of petty squabbling?

Back on topic...?

Personally I'm not worried. That could be something to do age and being, shall we say, comfortable (although not rich by any stretch of the imagination), but I actually have confidence that there are enough people with brains in this country who will figure out how to make a different 'order' work should it become necessary.

In today's system, even if Mars moves jobs offshore, the profits are still repatriated. Where do you really think the profits from all those Japanese cars sold in the UK really goes? Some of it is reinvested, but the bulk ends up in Japan. So, the cash inflows still look good, the government still takes its chunk of corporation tax and so on. The time to start worrying is when the companies themselves abandon the UK - or the US, or Europe... I think we can all be sure our governments would be very quick to react if that was ever to loom as a possibility. Actually, the time to start worrying about a company's viability is if they aren't taking a global perspective on their operations. That's my 20+ years as a senior strategist and consultant showing...

I do feel sorry for the people thrown out of work (my youngest is in that boat now, has been many times before and will be again), but that's a short term problem, and if you do think the glass is still half full you're halfway to solving it.

My wife's aunt had a wonderful philosophy. She worked in the barrios in Nicaragua for a number of years and said 'you are only poor if you don't know where your next meal is coming from'. We are VERY lucky.

ike":3ohd7883 said:
John wrote:

and then he wrote:

...I respect our members views, some of which I regard as friends, and was eager to hear their thoughts "

So, you regard some of our members views as friends do you, or did you mean them as friends?. Talk about the pot calling the kettle...

So John, if you want to be insulting to others on the forum, try to make sure your grammar is correct first. :wink:

Ike, the quotation was from one of Tony's contributions to his own thread "Bush or Kerry?". It was (obviously) from the time of the presidential election last year. Would that have been a political thread, I wonder?
Naturally I could not make any changes to the quote

John

I don't wish to argue with Tony or any one else, so perhaps this thread should be allowed to die a death.
I still maintain that it was not in any way political
John

Tony":21v32mp1 said:
trevtheturner":21v32mp1 said:
Trev.

Trev

Tony,

In your post addressed to me, to claim that I am at best nieve is at best naive. :lol:

If you read my post again you will see that I have neither made any reference whatsoever to the issues you have raised nor included any political observations - I don't think the original posting called for that. I have merely given my overall viewpoint in respect of the general topic of this thread.

I am very surprised that you have raised two such blatantly political questions when you have previously shown such a propensity for clamping down on any, what you see as, 'political' discussion. However I will not, although I could, respond with sound argument (as your rhetorical questions are in many ways defective).

In my view, the subject raised was a valid off-topic thread, with several valid responses, none of which were in breach of the Forum rules, which was going along quite happily until you stepped in and caused its degeneration!

Trev.
(economically safe, fortunate to know where the next meal is coming from, not personally worried, but still caring).

Can i just mention that many many years ago I used to date a Welsh girl called "Nieve" and this thread has brought back terrible memories :(

That's okay, Aragorn, we always appreciate a little jest :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but I do think she might be starting to wise-up a bit!

Oh, by the way - Six Nations. Heard a rumour that if Scotland win on Saturday then England will be known as the Triple Clowns! :wink: :lol:

Anybody got a spare ticket for the Millennium Stadium? :roll: :roll: :cry:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back