I'm after a table saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wangdoodle

Reaction score
...and after months of lingering on here, I've joined up to ask the collective knowledge!

For me, its about cut accuracy as I do a lot of segmented turning. Bad cuts lead to compound errors and then a whole load of faff trying to correct things.

I'm also limited by space, what with living in a cottage with a 'standard' UK sized garage attached to it. 'Standard' as in may have fitted a car in the 70's, but these days you'd get an old mini in there and little else.
Thus something that can go on my bench, or else be stowed away, or rolled around as necessary. On the list so far:

Bosch Professional GTS 10 XC

DeWalt (DW745)

Makita 2704/2

...and that's really as far as I've got.
At the moment I've been making do with a vintage DeWalt 'saw bench' that has no mitre slots and is slowing driving me insane.

My budget is from £500 up to about £1k, but ideally not that high up, but I will pay for the right saw if it'll do the job for a decade or more.

MTIA!

I've got the Dewalt 745 and can't complain, it's only a "site saw" but mine has got an almost flat table, a good fence and it's not too heavy if you have to move it around in a small garage.
I don't think many owners are unhappy with theirs either!
Before I got mine I looked at the Bosch too, but reviews from others nudged me towards the 745.
It is noisy though....

Cheers

Ferenc

I bought the dewalt 745, and I am very prejudiced against dewalt.
Its a lot more than just a "site saw". =D> =D> =D>

With a dedicated fold up stand with wheels it will park anywhere.

If you are really limited for room it might be worth considering a small Mitre Saw for the segment cutting.

I have a very basic unit (fixed not sliding) fitted with a reasonable blade and having taken time to ensure that it is set up to cut at true 90 deg. to the table surface and no free play on any of the axis I get segments ready for gluing straight off the blade.

I have had to fit my own angle alignment pins to aid repeatability as the in built 'notches' are not a good enough register.

All depends on how often you need to change your number of segments per circle I suppose as to the convenience of doing the segment angle checks.

But even on a good table saw you will have to do that or have a very accurate mitre gauge, although possibly more convenient if you are into very small segment piece work.

Thanks for the feedback so far. DeWalt appears to be edging it.

CHJ, I get your thinking (thanks!) however I’ve already been down that route a while ago. Good, but not good enough, plus I still have to mill down stock before cutting the segments from the strips. I suppose a Kapex would be nice though...

In combination with a wedgie sled and some CNC cut angled wedges to set it up, a table saw is the way ahead for me.

The DW745 is a solid saw, plenty good for what you need. The Bosch is also great.

If you're limited for space jobsite saws are certainly the way to go, easy to pack away, bring outside on a nice day and all that.

Don't get the Makita, that's strictly a saw designed for rough quick joinery tasks.

When I was looking for a table saw, I found the makita, fully assembled, in a large DIY shop. I prefer makita over any other brand name, but after a quarter hour studying that saw, I walked away. Definitely not a precision instrument in my opinion.

maybe your looking at this problem the wrong way.

how can I cut a miter on thin material 1200x1200?. well yes you can cut it on a saw bench but you are looking at 10x more than your current price limit for that sort of cut you are looking at a full 4x8 dedicated bench saw.

As people have said look at free hand router hand tools and jigs.

what about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpFGtBsl9k a different direction but much better and safer you could even add a flat sheet and T track to clamp your material in just a thought

Back