i'll never get my dado saw at this rate...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
i really want a new table saw with dado capabilities, but my brother in law was visiting from the US and i could not resist taking advantage of the exchange rate and spending a portion of my fund. Two lurverly planes and some natty rulers, just need to learn how to use them.

Alf your a bad influence! :twisted:

haul.jpg

Thing is i'm a little concerned about the mouth of the shoulder plane its not parallel and wider on one side, altogether not as good as the Jack. Should i let my brother in law take it back or am i worrying about nothing?

shoulder.jpg

Congrats on your haul!
To the shoulder plane... Have you tried using it? is the blade projecting out squarely ?? Take a few shavings to check this.
If the blade is projecting evenly then maybe it has not been ground square-may need to regrind it slightly.
Let us know how you get on,
Philly :D

Something else to check is that the lateral adjuster is not moved over to one side or the other.

I mention this because the blade's tip looks like it is over to one side more than the other. It should be just barely proud of each side when in the plane squarely.

Nice haul.

MikeW

MikeW":po6j8vas said:
Something else to check is that the lateral adjuster is not moved over to one side or the other. MikeW

I thought that too - from the photo, it appears to be sticking out slightly to the right, and be slightly in on the left - time to tighten up the lateral adjusters!

Adam

Wot they said about the shoulder plane. And isn't that so much nicer a picture than some stinkin' table saw? Hmm? It is, isn't it? Go on, you know it is. :wink: And they'll still be doing sterling service when a table saw would have long since needed replacement. You got the additional blade too; good decision. =D> Don't forget to wave on the way down, will you? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

To the shoulder plane... Have you tried using it? is the blade projecting out squarely

nope not yet i did not want to get into the whole sharpening thing if it had to be returned.

I'll have a look at the lateral adjusters this evening but I'm not hopeful it looks like the corner has been dinged before the bottom was machined flat. Ill see if i can take a better picture.

And isn't that so much nicer a picture than some stinkin' table saw

Thats for sure Alf they are too nice to leave in the garage i think i'll build a shelf in the living room so i can gaze upon them in my spare time :wink: also notice how well they conceal the disastrous laminate incident on my router table

Nice to see someone else hooked on the hand tools, who is your mentor?

No mentor per se, but i doubt i would have bought them without the evil forces of this forum

Tom

Mike,

i am curious as to what you avatar picture is? it looks like a glass door with an orange (non wood) spline in the corner. Am i close?

Tom

Tombo,

I can see what you mean.
If you place a straight edge acroos your picture ( a handy wooden coffee stirrer happens to be just right), you can see how the top right edge is curving upwards.
Not sure how it would effect performance, but it does look quite significant.

tombo":nhm51us3 said:
Mike,
i am curious as to what you avatar picture is? it looks like a glass door with an orange (non wood) spline in the corner. Am i close?
Tom
Hi Tom...

Not close on either account. Well, close on the spline thing because it is a spline--but it is the same wood as the main wood used, which is Jatoba. Ebony around the outside.

I didn't notice the color change on the spline when I had taken that picture. In real life there is no visable difference.

This is one of two photos I framed for the photographer. The subject was of two windows of a house in the desert.

Here's the frame from the front and the splined corner as an overlay.

pic_frame_w_key.jpg

MikeW":1napdgph said:
I didn't notice the color change on the spline when I had taken that picture. In real life there is no visable difference.

That's amazing given the difference in the photo. I thought the orange looked pretty good. The frames are very impressive either way!

Alan

not being an expert I am thinking that the shoulder plane has got to go back, the front part of the mouth is out of whack. These pictures show it more clearly there is a small but rough chamfer at one side :(.
mouth.jpg

with the front removed its clearly visible... drat.
front.jpg

also the front is not parallel with the body... double drat.
gap.jpg

one other thing may be an issue though i am not sure, the blade is very slightly wider that the plane itself .5mm is this normal for shoulder planes?
Maybe the plane will work fine as it is, am i expecting too much?

Tom

Tom
Sadly you will need a replacement-dont even bother trying to sort it out yourself.
And yes, the blade is normally a bit wider than the body by a smidge.
Cheers
Philly :D

Tombo

It will have to go back! Bad luck mate.

The width of the blade is about right - shoulder (and Rabett) planes always have a blade that is a little wider than the plane body

i so wanted this to be fixable at my end, such a pity because the quality on the rest of the plane is outstanding. I am particularly impressed with the silky smooth blade adjustment. It is surprising that this got through QA though, even to my untrained eye the problems were easy to spot. For now i will just get a refund and put the money back towards my saw fund, as it might be a while till i find another carrier pigeon.

Tom

Well my brother in law took the plane back after his stay with us and there was an RMA label waiting for him to return it FOC to lee valley.
In the end i decided that i did want a replacement and lee valley shipped me a new plane direct also without charge and they did this even before they received the faulty item back. :shock:
The whole process was painless the support and communication from lee valley faultless. This is how things should be, this wont be my last purchase from them :)

Glad you got it sorted Tom.

Noel

Back