Ikea work light (Grrrrrrrr)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh, that's a shame.
I have one on my drill press and it is excellent, I really love it.
Wait - ah, oops, perhaps that was not quite the right thing to say...
:?

Made mine by copying this excellent video
It works really well :)
Not sure if Pete G is a member here

LOOK

Cordy":db7ofzc5 said:
Made mine by copying this excellent video
It works really well :)
Not sure if Pete G is a member here

LOOK

Step one : Purchase IKEA light that we have just determined is now not avaliable

flying haggis":30gf9hhw said:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/jansjoe-led-usb-lamp-black-70291232/

with a cheap power supply (you might even have one that you used to charge a phone with)

if you frequent car boot sales keep your eyes open, that is where I got two for £4

I ordered a few of those at the same time too. Going to use them with one of my USB power banks

Not really the same though, as they're not nearly as bright or a long

That's annoying, I love my Jansjo lamps.

I have the USB ones, they are ok, pretty bright for their size and price. I tried to make portable lights with them but unfortunately they draw so little current my USB power banks don't register them as a proper load and as such they just switch off after 30secs or so.

It was the long neck that was attractive. On the original it's about 65cm, on the others its half that. The long neck being useful so the light can sit on the lath head stock and wrap to point around to the workpiece. I don;t think the shorter ones will reach. Will have to check.

In BBC Engineering Directorate there was a piece of folklore (which RogerS will no doubt confirm). It was supposed to have come from the accountancy chappies*:

"If you can still see it and hear it, there's room for further economies."

I think Ikea have something very similar.

E.

*or chap-esses, of course.

Back