IKEA dishwasher door "hack"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
So, genius here decided to install an integrated Bosch dishwasher into an IKEA kitchen; forgetting that the shorter kickboard height + longer door height of the IKEA system means that you can't put an IKEA door on a third party dishwasher - at least, not if you plan on opening the door more than about 45 degrees 🤦‍♂️

There are commercial solutions, but they mostly seem to involve a sliding mechanism that causes the door to ride up as you open the dishwasher. I'm not keen on it, plus there's an island opposite the dishwasher, and having the IKEA door extending further than the dishwasher door seemed like a bad idea.

Cue a few months living with a prototype hinged door, which (having held up well) has now been replaced with a finished version.

I ripped a full sized door in two, then "harvested" the oak frame strips from a spare door; such that I had the original door in two sections, each with a full frame. The sections are joined using some hinges (not recessed, as that forms the required gap between the panels), and some suitably positioned neodiddlyum... neodiddy... ne... strong magnets:

01.jpg

When installed, the magnets hold the two panels flush:

02.jpg

Once the door is tipped, the bottom section hits the recessed front of the dishwasher, and the panel swings on the hinges:

03.jpg

Lifted back up, and the door snaps back flush:

04.jpg

The hinges are just visible in the right light, so I guess a matt finish would be preferable, but I went for stainless, given the high moisture/steam content in a kitchen.

Good solution, but if you had the DW at it's lowest height 815mm and infilled above (behind door) it normally works on a full door I think the min is an 80mm plinth. Don't know what Ikea plinth height is.
Your solution looks fine and innovative to me though.

Good solution. Maybe paint the hinges black would make them less visible?
I considered that, but I'm unsure how well paint will adhere to stainless steel, and abrading them might cause rust. Plus there's the risk the paint might flake as the hinge moves.

In hindsight, I suppose I could have got non-stainless hinges then blackened them in oil.

Good solution, but if you had the DW at it's lowest height 815mm and infilled above (behind door) it normally works on a full door I think the min is an 80mm plinth. Don't know what Ikea plinth height is.
Your solution looks fine and innovative to me though.
I wondered if I could do that, but the instructions show that the top of the dishwasher has to be braced against the bottom of the worktop. I suppose I could have put a block under the worktop for the machine to brace against.

Oh, plus is also would mean the top of the IKEA door would be much higher than the top of the dishwasher door - so I'd be back at having the door sticking out much further when the dishwasher is open. As it is now, both doors are flush, and the controls are on the top of the door, so it's pretty comfortable to access.

To be fair to IKEA, they do make dishwashers for their kitchens; I just forgot that a "standard" dishwasher is not standard for those pesky Swedes.

Cannot beat a good hack. The motor on VW caravelle mirrors are £150 each. However they are 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 x3" in size. Anyone got a piece of CLS to hand! fitted perfectly 25mm drill for the spigot. Sorted. Granted it dosen't fold but when did I last fold them?

Cheers James

You could use a Black permanent marker / Sharpie ,I use one often on screw heads and such to help them blend in and should be fine on SS if clean of oil etc.

You could use a Black permanent marker / Sharpie ,I use one often on screw heads and such to help them blend in and should be fine on SS if clean of oil etc.
That's really not a bad idea at all. Dead easy to run back over them with a pen if it rubs off. Plus, if it doesn't look right then it can be wiped off with a bit of solvent. I shall give that go tomorrow!

Nice ones Sploo, I love those noddy magnets, but you do have to be careful to get them in attract mode each time!
I did make sure to test each pair before I glued them in. It would've been pretty funny if they all ended up the wrong way round 😁

Back