iGaging Digital Caliper Pass Around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for Peter if you are able to comment.
I have a couple of pairs of cheap digital calipers that are irritating because they eat batteries at one per 6-8 weeks used or not. I would happily bin them if I found a value alternative for day to day use on wood and metal.
I have a lovely Mitutoyo which makes a battery last at least a couple of years and wakes instantly the moment the jaw is opened. The Mitutoyo resolves to 0.01mm and is specified as accurate to 0.02mm. They are not cheap so I keep it for metal machining work where the accuracy matters, not a day to day knockabout.
Do the igaging calipers get a decent life from their batteries ?
Thanks.

I would guess I get at least 12-18 months outs of a battery in my EZ Cal. They are delivered with two batteries, the spare one would last longer as the first one may have been in the caliper 6 months or more since manufactured and by the time a customer receives them.
The more expensive iGaging Origincal does not have auto shut off, so gets left on a lot of the time in the school workshop, one of my first jobs in the morning is lights on, set the fires, turn off the calipers students have left on from the night before.

Well I bought a set from Peter, and gifted them to Eric the Viking as an Xmas pressie, who's been on about the lack of accuracy from his cheaper pairs for some time - who seemed both delighted and impressed with the quality and features, most especially the fractions... Thinking mebee I should have got myself a pair at the same time.

Update 6 month in: I’m still delighted with these: the battery is still going strong; the large screen has been easy to read. The imperial-fractional function has not been usful for me, but imperial-decimal has been occasionally useful for determining the size of a nut or bolt. Genuinely very happy with these.

Back