iGaging Digital Caliper Pass Around

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
iGaging Digital Caliper Pass Around

This month we are giving you the opportunity to try an iGaging EZ Cal Digital Caliper 150mm 6" via a pass around. A pass around is a cost-effective way for you to try out a new tool in the comfort of your own workshop and then share your experience of it with other members.

These are the easiest to read calipers that we've seen. Not only are the numbers large at 14mm tall, but the digits are also widely spaced. The 1/10,000" digit at the right side of the display is half-height, so it's legible without being distracting when reading decimal inches.

These calipers have a 150mm (6") capacity and the display reads to 0.01mm, 0.0005" or 1/128" at the press of a button. There's also a handy decimal/fraction conversion chart on the back. Precision ground stainless steel jaws allow precise, repeatable outside, inside, depth, and step measurements. With a quick measuring speed of 120” per second. All iGaging EZ Cal verniers are IP54-splash water, oil and dust resistant and individually serialised.

They are produced from hardened stainless with a precision lapped smooth finish, fitted case and two CR2032 batteries included.

Watch our YouTube video
The iGaging name and brand were built on their amazing quality digital callipers, Peter gives a brief overview of the range and basic functionality:

How a pass around works:
  • We will post the product to the first person on the list via tracked and signed for delivery
  • If you would like to test the calipers, please copy and paste the list of participants into a new message and add your username at the bottom
  • Send a private message to the person before you on the list with your full name, postal address, email address and phone number (most couriers require an email address and phone number for booking purposes)
  • The person before you on the list will send you the product via recorded delivery
  • Try the product for 2-3 days
  • Post a message to say you have finished using the product and will be sending it on
  • Send the product to the person next on the list via tracked and signed for delivery (UK mainland only)
  • Post your review along with any photos onto the forum
  • The last person on the list will send the product back to Wood Workers Workshop via tracked and signed for delivery

To qualify you need to have been a forum member since the 1st August 2020, have posted at least 50 posts and live in the UK mainland.
IG1003338B_1800x1800.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Moore & Wright version (I'm pretty sure they're identical to these?) and it's a very good quality caliper for the money in my opinion. The fractional measurements to 1/128" are surprisingly handy.

I have the Moore & Wright version (I'm pretty sure they're identical to these?) and it's a very good quality caliper for the money in my opinion. The fractional measurements to 1/128" are surprisingly handy.

Compared to my cheapie ones, you can just see the quality difference in the jaws.
Mine are used for motorcycle chain adjustment though. I don't think I 'd use these for that!

Great idea, Peter.

If I weren't already given a Mitutoyo one from my last job as a leaving present, I'd have my name down. But I'll be very interested to participate in future pass arounds.

Great idea, Peter.

If I weren't already given a Mitutoyo one from my last job as a leaving present, I'd have my name down. But I'll be very interested to participate in future pass arounds.

The Mitutoyo are top notch calipers so enjoy, if you have any ideas for future pass arounds let me know and I will see what I can workout.

Cheers Peter

I agree, the Mitutoyo are smooth and a joy to use.

I'd be interested in trying out the Incra precision ruler (or rule) ;)

I’d be interested but already have vernier’s that do the job

There is plenty on your site that I’d want to try though!

After using some cheap 'n nasty calipers over the years, I noticed the IG's a few months ago.
I am very happy with them and would recommend them highly.

Extremely interested in these, but no need to add to the pass around as to be honest I've no way of properly testing thier tolerances against known standard gauge blocks or whatever they are called so will be watching peoples experiences with interest.

Very good of you Peter to offer this as you've access to stuff we mortals are not :) Would be great to come again to another Open Day next year, lets hope eh?

Extremely interested in these, but no need to add to the pass around as to be honest I've no way of properly testing thier tolerances against known standard gauge blocks or whatever they are called so will be watching peoples experiences with interest.

Very good of you Peter to offer this as you've access to stuff we mortals are not :) Would be great to come again to another Open Day next year, lets hope eh?

Fingers crossed for next July

Hi all,

First: thank you to Peter for the opportunity to try these, I found it enlightening.

Comparing to my other callipers (a digital set from Maplin many years ago, and a vernier set from Screwfix a couple of years ago), they are both nicely made and seemingly more accurate.

D95A3CE4-865F-448F-B852-B3252E9D5182.jpeg

Accuracy
The vernier set is accurate to 0.1 mm, while the digital set both read out to 0.01 mm. The Maplin set makes no claims for accuracy, while the iGaging set claims to be accurate to 0.001” (0.025 mm).

Interestingly for me though the increased accuracy is not significantly beneficial because I’m not running any machines or processes that need accuracy <50 micron. The cheap verniers have been more than acceptable for what I have been measuring, and in my short test I have found that I’m mostly just rounding up the last digit on the iGaging set.

Features
3 things stand out for me comparing the two digital calipers: the display is significantly bigger on the iGaging set; the battery compartment is slighty better on the iGaging; the iGaging can do fractional measurements.

The fractional measurements are interesting, and I can see some benefit when trying to figure out what size bolt is needed for some old machinery. I dug out some rusted drill bits I got from a car boot sale that the numbers are unreadable on. The fractional measurements were good, but I would still have been happy taking the measurements in mm and converting back.
A018CD00-5A37-4281-8A58-6C93284058A0.jpeg5ABF1F69-5B52-4C60-9C33-77EC9A0F8FA9.jpeg

Speed
So I was thinking that the digital sets weren’t significantly better than the vernier set, but I was aware that the vernier would be slower to read. On hand I had some clamp-blocks that I had made up my welding table: 16 mm rod in a reamed 16 mm hole, on a block 20x30x82 mm. I had 4 of each, and taking the inner and outer measurements plus the length, I recorded the average time.
FC74343E-9433-4A01-A3FD-75B6F1769728.jpeg

With the verniers it was ~36s per block, and the iGaging set ~25s. That includes writing the values, so the difference in time-to-measurement with the digital set would be even more significant. Certainly the time to measurement is significantly quicker than with verniers.

Conclusion
If you don’t have a set of calipers, get one, they are incredibly useful for measuring many things associated with woodworking: dimensions of cutting tools such as saw blade width/kerf, router bit sizes and drill sizes is vital.

Then which set: the £13 verniers are ok, but are slow to read compared to the digital sets. The next step up would be the ~£20 set I got from Maplin, these are better than the vernier but may not be worth the cost, I still tend to reach for the verniers when the option is between the two. The iGaging set is noticeably nicer made, with smooth movements, and edges finished to relatively sharp corners, but without burs. The display is easier to read. I would say that the Gaging set is worth the additional £15 on the Maplin set. I am aware that Mitutoyo and others are excellent, but cost £50-£100, I do not have them as a reference point.

I can’t think of any down sides to the iGaging set, and that it comes with a calibration certificate makes me believe that the additional digit is more accurate than my other sets claim.

Again, thank you to Peter for the pass around.

Back