if you know anything about building plz help!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,
after being dpressed about my workshop size :p (just kidding) i thought to myself,
"hmmm i wonder whether i could knock that wall through, or maybe part of it!!"

so i would like your suggestions! here is a pic of my actual workshop that i use, there are 3 more similar rooms to this!!
(dunno if this will work)
workshop.jpg

i am planning to knock the wall to the right through a bit :?

Cheers

Tom

Edit: well i dunno how to get an image but here is some written info;

it is a cellar, they are quite thick walls, the house is around 100 years old, i presume it is a supporting wall....hmmm....thats it i suppose!
plz ask if you need anymore info!

Tom

Tom,

Have you got the image uploaded somewhere on the 'net? You need the full url to paste in between the tags. e.g. [url=http://homepages.tesco.net/~frampton/925.jpg]http://homepages.tesco.net/~frampton/925.jpg[/url]

[img]http://homepages.tesco.net/~frampton/925.jpg

Oh, and I don't know the answer but my instinct says for the love of mike, don't do it!!!!. Get a professional builder in to have a look, I reckon. Having a house collapse around your ears often offends... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Tom
It's really unlikely that you can knock through those thick cellar walls. They're holding your house up!!
Like Alf says, you must get a builder round to help you assess what can be done.

BTW Alf, nice photo-gloat - and in the name of helping a fellow poster. Pure skill!

A

Alf,

Some would say that you have shown us an anti-gloat. On the other hand, if you were to show the same plane and a lovely moulding complete with shavings that is the result of your own fair hand wielding this thing, then that would be a truly exceptional gloat. I would go so far as to ask our laureate in residence - MMD to compose a special ode.

Hmm, well I don't actually have any shots of that one in use - mainly 'cos it's so much fun to use, I forget to stop and take a picture... :wink: Would its 'Murrican cousin, Stanley, do instead? :roll:

taperedplugs.jpg

Whoops. Wrong one.

shavelegs.jpg

Ooops, silly me.

dovetailtrim.jpg

There it i- no, I tell a lie. Try again...

secondgroove.jpg

Always the last place you look eh? :roll:

Cheers, Alf :lol:

Now come on Alf, that's hardly a nice moulding you've made is it? That's just digging a trench for yourself...

AG - thinking he needs a fix of spokeshave now he's seen a great picture of one in use :roll:

thanks dog i didnt see your post :p

here it is (hopefully)

thomaskennedy-workshop.JPG

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/thoma ... kshop2.JPG just a link for that one cos its a big piccy!

well i want to knock out the right hand side wall but i have a feeling that it is a supporting wall, failing that i would knock the back one out!

plz excuse all the graffity cos my brother found some spray paint and went crazy, i am also halfway through plastering it!!

Cheers

Tom

Tom
2 things.
One is cellar walls usually hold up something - like the rest of the house!
Two is if you want to knock parts of walls down ask for advice from your local authority Building Control.
You will have to submit an application under the Building Regulations, anyway, so you might as well start there.
A good builder will be able to give you information as well but start with Building Control.
If the walls really are load-bearing you will need to supply engineering calculations to show how you intend to stop the house caving in.
Third thing might be to move, perhaps!!
Cheers.

SF

Alf,

piccis of your workshop...

does this mean....

I wont say it cos youll only aske me :oops:

Signal

Mike, ROTFL!!! :lol:

Afterglow":w57qsh91 said:
Now come on Alf, that's hardly a nice moulding you've made is it? That's just digging a trench for yourself...
Sorry, I was getting too groovy wasn't I...? :roll: And you're right, I missed it had to be a moulding. Hang on - <rummage, rummage> - Ah ha! And it's the Record too :D Hmm, the piccy makes it look a little rough at the edges; it's much better in real life, honest. :roll:

recordmouldingclose.jpg

Sig, no I'm afraid not. :( All archive stuff from last year. :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Hey All,
Only just noticed this thread-what fun! (and nobody gets hurt!)
Alf, I take off my Gloating Hat in salute to your ingenious display :roll:

By the way, what vise have you got on your bench?

Yours
Philly

waterhead37":10q9y02l said:
OK, I admit it, I asked for it and got handed my a**e on a plate!
Sorry, Chris, I'll stop now :)

Philly, the vices are both beech jobbies that came built in with the bench. As you can see, blooming enormous jaws. :shock:

D'you know, I get the feeling you lot didn't believe me when I said the first pic hadn't occurred to me as gloating? It hadn't, honest. 'Course, I may have made up for that now... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

tom to have the wall removed and fit an r s j in will cost more than all the tools on alfs wish list and thats a few bobs worth .

frank

ps have you asked the oldies if you can do it :D

Back