If you had to choose ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I would say...definitely go the second-hand route....and use the greatest resource you have to hand now...this forum.

Be patient...seek out examples for sale...here, locally on the various classified sites, on FleaBay and then show us what you intend to purchase...how much it is...what you want to use it for and there will be people jumping up to help you from all quarters and giving you very valid advice as to whether to proceed or not...whether it is a bargain or whether it will be an albatross around your neck.

Above all...don't jump because you think you might miss something...another one will be along later...probably in better nick or at a better price.

Jim

jimi43":3501dyrs said:
Lots of good advice

I've just thought of an example.
I had a NuTools drill press. I bought it new 20-odd years ago and it was an OK machine. Not high precision, but not total rubbish either.

A few years ago I decided I need a greater plunge and better engineering. I found a 1963 Meddings Pacera on eBay. I did pay over the odds and spent another 40-odd quid equipping it with an NVR switch and a new paint job.

I do miss the rack and pinion of the NuTool, but, on balance, Lulu, as she is called, is a much better machine.

The original Nutool cost me, IIRC, £140, I sold it for £100 20 years later and spent £200 on Lulu, so I'm happy.

S

Thanks for the advice chaps , I will start the search and come back with what I find. I appreciate the quality advice from all who contributed.

Oh and if anyone has either or in the workshops let me know.

The band saw may potentially more versatile than the TS but once agin it comes back what you wish to do.
Ok, the BS will cut curves, a TS will not. A good sized BS will re-saw, a TS will not.
A TS will normally handle larger/heavier material 'cos of its larger table. A TS will handle wider materials.
A TS will cut grooves, a BS will not. A TS will tongue and groove, a BS will not.
Even pro BSs that I have used will not rip as accurately as a TS.
With various jigs my TS is the centre of my efforts, whereas the BS comes into use much more rarely.

Roy.

Digit":3qvhxlvm said:
With various jigs my TS is the centre of my efforts, whereas the BS comes into use much more rarely.
Whereas I find exactly the opposite, which is why this is really a bit of an impossible question IMO. I suppose I like the bandsaw more because I can use it for many different things without having to come up with various jigs etc - a sort of powered hand tool, if you like. The jigs approach that lends itself so well to the tablesaw (and router) has never really appealed to me, and thus my preference. Does that help at all? Probably not, but fwiw. No charge. :D

Alf":e7hip6wm said:
Digit":e7hip6wm said:
Whereas I find exactly the opposite, which is why this is really a bit of an impossible question IMO. I suppose I like the bandsaw more because I can use it for many different things without having to come up with various jigs etc - a sort of powered hand tool, if you like. The jigs approach that lends itself so well to the tablesaw (and router) has never really appealed to me, and thus my preference. Does that help at all? Probably not, but fwiw. No charge. :D

Nope that makes sense Alf, where.me I'm fascinated by all the various jigs etc. After many attempts at making a mitre sled for my table saw I have finally got it set up making great mitres . I am terrified if I change the settings on it that I won't get the same results next time so I may have just use it for mitres lol.

Mitres, in both directions, tenons, finger joints, dove tails, tapers, box separation, plus the LH extension on my SIP has a 1/2 inch router built in. The fence has built in stops when needed and an adjustable short sub fence, the 'T' slot supports my overhead router.

Roy.

I have not had or used a table saw, but I would be totally lost without my band saw. A Startrite 301S, the baby of the bunch, but it wil cut upto 8" thick wood and had a 12" throat. I have always used 1\4" 6 skip blades even when cutting the bigger, for me, stuff without any problems.

If I have to cut bigger stuff then if it's thicker I have mt Sthil chain saw or sheet material I use either a handheld circular saw or my jig saw. So far I have managed to cut 5 foot square 1 1/2" MDF into 5 foot diametre tables with no problems. 8 of them!

Back