Identifying wood ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dog":4fo05dsg said:
Is there a chart somewhere showing wood types and what they are ? Cheers
Hi Dog,

There are several online sources.

One of my favorites is:
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
It can take a while to load, though.

Another is:
http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b-online/wood/english/index.htm
No pictures, though.

And yet another is (with links directly to geographical areas). Also, no pictures and in individual PDF format:
African Index
Asian/Oceanic Index
South American Index

There are also a few good books (my preference).

Terrific links.

Just what I need as we bought some Indian slate slabs which came direct from India in crates. I was just about to chainsaw the crates up for firewood but then thought 'hang on a bit..this wood might be useful'. No idea what the wood is..but these sites should help. If my patience doesn't run out first !

Roger Sinden":12jouf87 said:
Terrific links.

Just what I need as we bought some Indian slate slabs which came direct from India in crates. I was just about to chainsaw the crates up for firewood but then thought 'hang on a bit..this wood might be useful'. No idea what the wood is..but these sites should help. If my patience doesn't run out first !

Just thought I'd warn you about a potential problem -
my dad has just bought some flagstones imported from India and they were packed in crates made from an interesting hard wood that he saved for me. I couldn't identify it (haven't really tried actually!) but it had quite a bit of woodworm in it - yes, actual worm rather than just holes as I discovered when I tried to turn some of it!

The heart wood is gorgeous so I've tried to save what I can but I threw out the worst.

It's also very dense and difficult to work (dad's hand saw came off worst I think!)

Latest posts

Back