Identifying spare bits!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardsth

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

apologies of this has been posted on the wrong section, but it’s the one that I thought most relevant. I recently acquired a KITY K5 in excellent condition all round, but after transporting it home, I discovered two spare parts in my box of bits that I can’t for the life of me figure out where they come from. They are painted in that green colour which is common across other workshop kit, so it is possible that they don’t belong to my K5, and the previous owner assumed that they did.

any how, any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

cheers Rik
155954D3-525B-426C-B53C-D3BBBA896F34.jpeg
155954D3-525B-426C-B53C-D3BBBA896F34.jpeg155954D3-525B-426C-B53C-D3BBBA896F34.jpeg372A491D-07D9-4E87-82F2-07903B33C426.jpeg50B04667-1AE1-4C1A-B483-E6CBD6CF78C8.jpegFE8DFCEB-7CD8-49E2-AD05-388A2BB8F813.jpegFC6B0B92-D1B7-4C01-9AF3-59C081AB5C35.jpegDDBAD1E1-8F16-4288-9724-D03030B542C6.jpeg

There's nothing like that on the K5 to the best of my knowledge and it's not a Kity green anyway, in fact the K5 was never green it only changed to green and red on the first model Bestcombi. Photos of the machine would be interesting.

There's nothing like that on the K5 to the best of my knowledge and it's not a Kity green anyway, in fact the K5 was never green it only changed to green and red on the first model Bestcombi. Photos of the machine would be interesting.
You may have something there. I’ve searched for KITY K5 and it’s white, while the green one was called the Bestcombi. However, I’ve also seen them called Kity Bestcombi K5. So God knows what I’ve got! All I know is that it’s a Kity.

79B71B09-FFDE-4BAE-96FA-3ADDD09C3277.jpeg
D6913437-51E0-4610-81BB-F0119FB72F66.jpeg
67CA713D-1F48-4DF9-B99C-189CFFFA3203.jpeg
0808E7ED-E9AF-4A40-A34E-71B526ABBD61.jpeg

Hey Richard it's definitely not a K5 or Bestcombi and if you got it for a decent price you've done well as it certainly looks like one of the larger machines, the planer for example looks like a 636 or later and it seems as if the saw table has the parts for a sliding table I have some info but can't access it tonight, I'll message you with my email address and if you email me I'll see if I can send some info which might be of use.

BTW, I've had this conversation about the K5 several times previously as there is misinformation being spread that the larger machines are K5s - they're not, there were only 2 Kity versions of the K5 plus a few rebranded machines, the original Mk1 with splayed table legs followed by the Mk2 and then they upgraded the spindle shaft size, changed colours and rebranded it a Bestcombi, the later Bestcombi 2000 is a different machine.
The larger versions started around the K704 and you could choose various machines to put on the table, what you chose determined the resultant model number e.g basic saw + planer/thicknesser + moulder was a K7040 and with morticer added became a K7042 etc.

Can't be certain until I look but your's looks more like an early CK26 which came on to the market in the late 80s if I remember correctly.

I'm certainly not an expert on Kity machines but do know a little as we stocked and sold them around that time and I still have the K5 Mk2 I bought in 1989.

Hey Richard it's definitely not a K5 or Bestcombi and if you got it for a decent price you've done well as it certainly looks like one of the larger machines, the planer for example looks like a 636 or later and it seems as if the saw table has the parts for a sliding table I have some info but can't access it tonight, I'll message you with my email address and if you email me I'll see if I can send some info which might be of use.

BTW, I've had this conversation about the K5 several times previously as there is misinformation being spread that the larger machines are K5s - they're not, there were only 2 Kity versions of the K5 plus a few rebranded machines, the original Mk1 with splayed table legs followed by the Mk2 and then they upgraded the spindle shaft size, changed colours and rebranded it a Bestcombi, the later Bestcombi 2000 is a different machine.
The larger versions started around the K704 and you could choose various machines to put on the table, what you chose determined the resultant model number e.g basic saw + planer/thicknesser + moulder was a K7040 and with morticer added became a K7042 etc.

Can't be certain until I look but your's looks more like an early CK26 which came on to the market in the late 80s if I remember correctly.

I'm certainly not an expert on Kity machines but do know a little as we stocked and sold them around that time and I still have the K5 Mk2 I bought in 1989.
That’s very interesting information. I did have my doubts regarding the K5 designation as most of the individual items bear no relation to the supplied K5 documentation. But it was sold as a K5 so went along with it. I’ll send you their numbers tomorrow to see what you think.

The mystery part reminds me of a mystery part I sold once. The buyer said it was a guard for tennoning on a French spindle moulder whose name I cannot remember. My mental picture is foggy though.

When I mentioned the bars on the saw for a sliding table I hadn't noticed it's fitted to the spindle moulder, it is of course interchangeable, senile moment. ;)

Re: Kity combination machines. They just arranged the individual benchtop machines on a sheet or board and arranged motors and switching to suit.

I'd look into the Kity "Direct Drive" and "CK26" model combis. They look to be around the right vintage.
The bestcombi if I remember right had a single motor and you slipped belts on and off to share this between machines. The direct drive and CK26 were a later step up and had individual motors for each machine so no more messing with the belts.
The visible switch on top is what makes me think you have a multi motor model.

It is a fairly old one. I used to own a 3636 standalone planer. Bought around 1990.
The tables, arrn and cutter guard of your planer all look the same as mine were, however the chassis is the same as the older table top mounting 635 or 636 machine.
Marius Hornberger on youtube renovated a 635 / 636 planer on his channel some while back. That might be a useful resource for you.

The saw looks like an L5. I recognise the alloy extrusions that the rip fence mounts to. They are certainly from that generation.
The mitre gauge is quite a nice thing although the table slots are skinny. As it has two faces machined at 90 degrees, it can be used to make a perfect 90 degree mitred joint by using both faces, even if you get the 45 angle setting wrong by a degree or three.

You may well find a manual on the internet. Worth looking.

Lastly, Kity being French are talked about on the French side of the internet. It's worth learning the French terms for different woodworking machinces (scie circulaire, toupie, raboteuse, ) and having a google. You'll find at least some photos that way.

This link to a French supplier has a short list of the older Kity machines grouped by age
https://www.probois-machinoutils.com/en/386-parts-for-old-machines-kity

Last edited:
Kity had a very strange way of naming the machines and that has caused a lot of confusion over the years.
I think that yours is just known as a Kity direct drive machine.

It's almost certainly a CK 26 rather than a direct drive as I suggested earlier but without the morticer. I scanned this from a price list around 1989 but yours might be a few years earlier.

img20220124_21592387.jpg

That looks more like what I have as ithas the bars for the sliding tables on the moulder and saw table. £2000 for something in the eighties seems like a hell of a lot of cash

now if only I can figure out where these bits go?

Last edited:
For anyone who’s interested the company originated at The Electroli factory in Bisschwiller, France when it started production of small woodworking machines in 1948 and these were launched at trade fairs in 1949 aimed at the perceived niche market between trade and DIY.

In 1960 the trade mark ELECTROLI was discontinued and the Name KITY established so all machines since that date have the Kity brand and at the time we were stocking in the 80s they had extensive distribution across 5 continents including more than 800 distributors in Europe alone.

In the late 70s they were offering all their machines either separately or combinations on a table to customer’s choice, note that these were sometimes made up ad hoc by users at a later date or by sellers on their premises in which case there were some odd arrangements however those sent out from the factory were clearly identifiable and allocated a model number. i.e. early combos were made up from the following machines, note where there is more than one option it usually designates different capacity as with the planer but the moulder model 626 relates to UK guarding spec.
  • Base machine table......................700
  • Retractable roller unit................ 701
  • Flexible shaft ...................................690
  • Table saw...........................................617
  • Band saw............................................612
  • Spindle moulders..........................626 / 627
  • Planer/thicknessers.......................635 / 636
  • Slot morticer....................................652
  • Grinder................................................641
  • Planer knife grinder.....................642
  • Motor either 1.5hp single phase or 2.0hp 3 phase but others to order were available.
  • Lots of accessories including extractor hoses etc with various part numbers
The combinations were designated as follows all on the 700 table and with relevant accessories
  • 700 table + 612 = .................................................................................model 7036
  • “” + 617 = .................................................................................................................7037
  • “” + 617 + 635 + 626 =......................................................................................7040
  • “” + 617 + 635 + 626 + 652 = ......................................................................7042
  • “” + 617 + 635 + 627 + 652 + 641 + 642 + 690 = ............................7044
The K704* machines were replaced in the 80s by the CK26 and the Direct drive as ready assembled machines though you could add some attachments and both machines were available at the time

K5. ( These should never be confused with the larger machines and always had the smaller 200mm saw and 150 x 100 planer/thicknesser)

After the original trials with small machines on a table the K5 was launched on a splay legged table in 2 forms the basic 4 function, saw + planer/thicknesser + spindle moulder and the 5 function with added a slot morticer. The Mk2 version was introduced on a straight legged table, slightly different colours and a few minor modifications including spindle shaft from 15mm to 20mm. In the late eighties this was rebadged a Bestcombi and colours now red and green and was almost identical to it’s K5 predecessor apart from a new 30mm spindle moulder shaft. Later Bestcombi 2000 was a completely different machine. Some early versions had a different belt system however.

Last edited:
That looks more like what I have as ithas the bars for the sliding tables on the moulder and saw table. £2000 for something in the eighties seems like a hell of a lot of cash

now if only I can figure out where these bits go?
They were a lot of money in those days but there was relatively little competition and certainly no cheap chiwanese stuff, you also need to remember that machine was aimed at the small joinery shop not the DIY market which was served mostly by the K5 which was at the time around £1000 cheaper.

I can't see anything that resembles tose bits you have btw but I wouldn't worry about them.

I had a CK 26, which I used for 20 years, bought 2nd hand, an excellent machine, now sold on ebay. Now I have a Multi drive, swapped for a Velosolex. Multi drive much easier to use no changing of belts between functions. I had to have one of the Warner drive electro magnetic coils rewound. took a cad drawing of the coil spool holder, then had it 3 d printed, coil rewound by a loudspeaker repairer. Warner, France, very helpful in giving specifications of the coil

It's almost certainly a CK 26 rather than a direct drive as I suggested earlier but without the morticer. I scanned this from a price list around 1989 but yours might be a few years earlier.

View attachment 127838

The reason I suggested that it is a direct drive is because the switch on the motor looks to have several positions to select each different function.
With the help of your info the op will now know which machine it is by weather it changes function by a switch or manual changing of the belts.

The reason I suggested that it is a direct drive is because the switch on the motor looks to have several positions to select each different function.
With the help of your info the op will now know which machine it is by weather it changes function by a switch or manual changing of the belts.
Yeah a reasonable assumption, I wondered about that at first and might have suggested it as well but I remembered the CK26 had the sliding table bars, the switches did vary a bit as on all makes of machine I guess.
The French have a lot to answer for. :ROFLMAO: some of the accessory and part numbers are very strange. It looks as if he might have got a decent machine if it was at a good price. I would have bought a CK26 instead of my K5 in 1989 but couldn't justify the extra cost and was restricted for space at the time.

Its a shame that now given all the info the op has not come back to tell us what machine he has.
I think that the sliding table and bars would not have come as standard but would have been an option.
It does look like a nice example and should work well for the op.

Latest posts

Back