Identifying small bench plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Capon

Reaction score
Can anyone help to identify this small plane I picked up at a brickabrack stall for £12.50
7 1/2" long with a 1 9/16" wide blade, no chip breaker, cap iron has no2 on it and M5 on the back bit like a type 51 spokeshave iron, 45 degree built in frog and the blade was roughly ground to 25 degrees. PS has British made on body.

Attachments

• 20200727_231041.jpg
    20200727_231041.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 320
It's hard to tell from one rather dark photo. I'd guess it was a cheap plane for the 1950s / 60s diy market. It might have been made to sell in somewhere like Woolworths or in a hardware shop as a basic model for less than a branded Stanley or Record.

There are a few variants of "No 2" planes - Whitmore comes to mind as a maker's name - which all look a bit like the picture. Try Googling "Plane Whitmore No 2" for some pictures. I use one given to me by Secret Santa as a scrub plane with a heavily cambered iron, for which it works well.

Found a similar size but much thicker record blade on eBay for £5. Flattened and edged it and after a bit of tinkering getting the blade in the right place it now takes wafer thin shavings. Surprisingly it's a very nice little plane. I'll revamping it, give it a good clean, a coat of Smoothrite, reshape the handles, give it a polish and put it in service.

Thanks everyone who replied

PS picked up a Este jack plane red thing for £4 going to have a play

Latest posts

Back