• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Identifying small bench plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Peter Capon

Reaction score
Can anyone help to identify this small plane I picked up at a brickabrack stall for £12.50
7 1/2" long with a 1 9/16" wide blade, no chip breaker, cap iron has no2 on it and M5 on the back bit like a type 51 spokeshave iron, 45 degree built in frog and the blade was roughly ground to 25 degrees. PS has British made on body.

Attachments

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from one rather dark photo. I'd guess it was a cheap plane for the 1950s / 60s diy market. It might have been made to sell in somewhere like Woolworths or in a hardware shop as a basic model for less than a branded Stanley or Record.

Sheffield Tony

Ghost of the disenchanted
Reaction score
There are a few variants of "No 2" planes - Whitmore comes to mind as a maker's name - which all look a bit like the picture. Try Googling "Plane Whitmore No 2" for some pictures. I use one given to me by Secret Santa as a scrub plane with a heavily cambered iron, for which it works well.

Peter Capon

Reaction score
Found a similar size but much thicker record blade on eBay for £5. Flattened and edged it and after a bit of tinkering getting the blade in the right place it now takes wafer thin shavings. Surprisingly it's a very nice little plane. I'll revamping it, give it a good clean, a coat of Smoothrite, reshape the handles, give it a polish and put it in service.

Thanks everyone who replied

PS picked up a Este jack plane red thing for £4 going to have a play

Latest posts